730!!! 100 point increase with Economist Test Prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
When I took the GMAT the first time, I received (in my opinion) are pretty good score - 630. However, within that 630 my breakdown was extremely uneven; I didn't do well in the Quant section (36th percentile) but I did well in the Verbal (85th percentile). I was unsure whether or not to take the GMAT again, and when looking through other online programs, they all appeared to have a pretty standard/generic curriculum, which was a bit of a turn off for me as I felt I only needed to work on the quant. The biggest draw to the Economist GMAT test prep program for me what that it adapts to what you need, based off of your scores on the practice tests and on practice questions throughout the lessons. The program was perfect for me, as it placed most emphasis on the mathematics and through short, easy to comprehend lessons, as well as 6 completely customizable tutor sessions with an actual tutor I was able to bring my score up 21 percentile points!! I hadn't done math at school in at leas t a couple of years, so for me I really needed a brush up on everything to trigger my memories and the broad spectrum of lessons provided on the program was great - especially as it keeps reviewing the same lessons until you really get it. If you are struggling on a certain question or lesson as well, the Economist GMAT test prep has 'Ask-a-tutor' questions, where a tutor will send you back and explanation of the question that will hopefully help you better understand the question and its answer. As well as thoroughly helping me on the Quant section, I also improved significantly on the Verbal section (which was a bonus as I felt I had really been emphasizing Quant and had been neglecting the Verbal). I moved from 85th percentile to 98th percentile; the program does an excellent job of breaking down the critical reasoning, sentence correction, and reading comprehension into step by step methods of thinking and working through the questions, and if you follow their methods step by step, there really is no way to answer a question incorrectly! It's quite impressive, actually. There is also the possibility to submit 5 essays for review by a tutor, who will provide you feedback, though I did not take advantage of these. I put a lot of hours into this program, 145 or somewhere around there, maybe slightly more - but it was well worth it for the 100 point surprise at the end!! Would definitely recommend the Economist GMAT test prep, as there is also a money-back guarantee if you don't receive a 70 point score increase; though, based off my experience, they probably don't have to give people their money back very often... Excellent opportunity for those looking for a well-rounded score increase with plenty of time to invest into the program.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Economist

by barksdale » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:26 pm
ejm94 wrote:When I took the GMAT the first time, I received (in my opinion) are pretty good score - 630. However, within that 630 my breakdown was extremely uneven; I didn't do well in the Quant section (36th percentile) but I did well in the Verbal (85th percentile). I was unsure whether or not to take the GMAT again, and when looking through other online programs, they all appeared to have a pretty standard/generic curriculum, which was a bit of a turn off for me as I felt I only needed to work on the quant. The biggest draw to the Economist program for me what that it adapts to what you need, based off of your scores on the practice tests and on practice questions throughout the lessons. The program was perfect for me, as it placed most emphasis on the mathematics and through short, easy to comprehend lessons, as well as 6 completely customizable tutor sessions with an actual tutor I was able to bring my score up 21 percentile points!! I hadn't done math at school in at leas t a couple of years, so for me I really needed a brush up on everything to trigger my memories and the broad spectrum of lessons provided on the program was great - especially as it keeps reviewing the same lessons until you really get it. If you are struggling on a certain question or lesson as well, you have 'Ask-a-tutor' questions, where a tutor will send you back and explanation of the question that will hopefully help you better understand the question and its answer. As well as thoroughly helping me on the Quant section, I also improved significantly on the Verbal section (which was a bonus as I felt I had really been emphasizing Quant and had been neglecting the Verbal). I moved from 85th percentile to 98th percentile; the program does an excellent job of breaking down the critical reasoning, sentence correction, and reading comprehension into step by step methods of thinking and working through the questions, and if you follow their methods step by step, there really is no w ay to answer a question incorrectly! It's quite impressive, actually. There is also the possibility to submit 5 essays for review by a tutor, who will provide you feedback, though I did not take advantage of these. I put a lot of hours into this program, 145 or somewhere around there, maybe slightly more - but it was well worth it for the 100 point surprise at the end!! Would definitely recommend, as there is also a money-back guarantee if you don't receive a 70 point score increase; though, based off my experience, they probably don't have to give people their money back very often... Excellent opportunity for those looking for a well-rounded score increase with plenty of time to invest into the program.
Hi ejm94, I'm curious to learn a little more about what actually happens in the tutoring sessions. Do they look at your exams and provide feedback, have you work through practice exercises? What actually happened that generated the point improvement. Very curious to hear. Thanks! <i class="em em-clap"></i><i class="em em-clap"></i>