Airline fleet problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Airline fleet problem

by abhi.iitb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 am

Need help in the above question. As per the language of the question(How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the Airline's fleet was less than 50% of the fleet) I think answer should be "C". But OA is "D"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:41 am
A certain airline's fleet consisted of 60 type A planes at the beginning of 1980. At the end of each year, starting with 1980, the airline retired 3 of the TYPE A planes and acquired 4 new type B plans. How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the airline's fleet was less than 50 percent of the fleet?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 9
E. 10
We can PLUG IN THE ANSWERS, which represent the number of years required for there to be more Type B planes that Type A planes.

Each year 3 Type A planes are retired, while 4 Type B planes are acquired, for a net GAIN of one plane per year.
Since the fleet is INCREASING to a number GREATER THAN 60 -- and Type B planes must constitute more than half the resulting fleet -- there must be at least 30 Type B planes after the correct number of years.
The answer choices imply that the following numbers of Type B planes are acquired:
A: (6 years)(4 planes per year) = 24.
B: (7 years)(4 planes per year) = 28.
C: (8 years)(4 planes per year) = 32.
The least viable option is C.
Eliminate A and B.

Answer choice C: 8 years
Since 4 Type B planes are acquired each year, the total number of Type B planes after 8 years = 8*4 = 32.
Since 3 of the 60 Type A planes are retired each year, the total number of Type A planes after 8 years = 60 - (8*3) = 36.
Here, there are fewer Type B planes than Type A planes.
Eliminate C.

Answer choice D: 9 years
Since there are 32 Type B planes after 8 years, and 4 more Type B planes are acquired in the 9th year, the total number of Type B planes after 9 years = 32+4 = 36.
Since there are 36 Type A planes after 8 years, and 3 more Type A planes are retired in the 9th year, the total number of Type A planes after 9 years = 36-3 = 33.
Success!
Here, there are more Type B planes than Type A planes.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 am
abhi.iitb wrote: Need help in the above question. As per the language of the question(How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the Airline's fleet was less than 50% of the fleet) I think answer should be "C". But OA is "D"
According to the problem, planes are retired and acquired at the END of each year.
As shown in my post above, at the END of the 9th year, there are more Type B planes than Type A planes.
Thus, 9 years must pass BEFORE -- at the END of the 9th year -- there are more Type B planes than Type A planes.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Score:780

by misterholmes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:43 am
I would just observe that each year there is 1 net new plane. So at year 6, there are 66 planes in total, of which 24 are type B. This is, by sight, less than 50%.
Then I would continue in the same fashion, testing the answer choices. For example, for year 8, there are 68 planes, of which 32 are type B. This is still easily seen to be less than half.

Wiki O
For the GMAT Dojo.
www.gmatdojo.com
Mindfulness, Concentration, Insight

by abhi.iitb » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:35 am
Thanks a lot Mitch for the solution. But, my confusion is in the language of the question stem which says" How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the Airline's fleet was less than 50% of the fleet". So, As per my understanding question in other words is asking till how many years Airline fleet has more type A plane than type B plane and answer for that should be 8 not 9. Is in not what the question means here??

Abhishek
GMATGuruNY wrote:
abhi.iitb wrote: Need help in the above question. As per the language of the question(How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the Airline's fleet was less than 50% of the fleet) I think answer should be "C". But OA is "D"
According to the problem, planes are retired and acquired at the END of each year.
As shown in my post above, at the END of the 9th year, there are more Type B planes than Type A planes.
Thus, 9 years must pass BEFORE -- at the END of the 9th year -- there are more Type B planes than Type A planes.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:02 pm
abhi.iitb wrote:Thanks a lot Mitch for the solution. But, my confusion is in the language of the question stem which says" How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the Airline's fleet was less than 50% of the fleet". So, As per my understanding question in other words is asking till how many years Airline fleet has more type A plane than type B plane and answer for that should be 8 not 9. Is in not what the question means here??

Abhishek
It took x years BEFORE y happened means that y happened AFTER x years had passed.
Here, Type A planes constituted less than half the fleet at the end of the 9th year.
At the end of the 9th year, 9 years had passed.
Thus, it took 9 years before the number of type A planes left in the airline's fleet was less than 50 percent of the fleet.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 pm
Hi abhi.iitb,

The prompt mentions that planes retired and acquired at the END of each year. You can create a quick table to track what you're looking for:

Start: 60 A and 0 B
Yr 1: 57 A and 4 B
Yr 2: 54 A and 8 B
Yr 3: 51 A and 12 B
Yr 4: 48 A and 16 B
Yr 5: 45 A and 20 B
Yr 6: 42 A and 24 B
Yr 7: 39 A and 28 B
Yr 8: 36 A and 32 B
Yr 9: 33 A and 36 B

After 9 years, the type A planes were less than 50% of the total.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by abhi.iitb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 am
Thanks a lot Mitch. I understood it now, I was some how confused with the wording of the problem.

It took x years BEFORE y happened means that y happened AFTER x years had passed.
Here, Type A planes constituted less than half the fleet at the end of the 9th year.
At the end of the 9th year, 9 years had passed.
Thus, it took 9 years before the number of type A planes left in the airline's fleet was less than 50 percent of the fleet.

by abhi.iitb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 am
HI Rich,
Thanks for the solution. I was actually confused with the wording of the question stem.
[email protected] wrote:Hi abhi.iitb,

The prompt mentions that planes retired and acquired at the END of each year. You can create a quick table to track what you're looking for:

Start: 60 A and 0 B
Yr 1: 57 A and 4 B
Yr 2: 54 A and 8 B
Yr 3: 51 A and 12 B
Yr 4: 48 A and 16 B
Yr 5: 45 A and 20 B
Yr 6: 42 A and 24 B
Yr 7: 39 A and 28 B
Yr 8: 36 A and 32 B
Yr 9: 33 A and 36 B

After 9 years, the type A planes were less than 50% of the total.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm
A certain airline's fleet consisted of 60 type A planes at the beginning of 1980. At the end of each year, starting with 1980, the airline retired 3 of the TYPE A planes and acquired 4 new type B plans. How many years did it take before the number of type A planes left in the airline's fleet was less than 50 percent of the fleet?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 9
E. 10

We are given that the fleet started with 60 type A planes. We are also given that the airline retired 3 of the type A planes and acquired 4 new type B planes each year. We need to determine the number of years it took for the number of type A planes left in the airline's fleet to be less than 50 percent of the fleet. In other words, we need to determine the number of years it took for the number of type A planes to be less than type B planes. We can let n = the number of years it will take for this to occur.

The number of type A planes in the fleet can be expressed as 60 - 3n (because the fleet loses 3 type A planes each year). The total number of type B planes in the fleet is 4n.

We can create the following equation:

60 - 3n < 4n

60 < 7n

n > 60/7

n > 8 4/7

Since n > 8 4/7, the smallest integer value that n can be is 9.

Answer: D

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews