A job opening was posted in September and again...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
A job opening was posted in September and again in January. In September, the number of applicants for the position was 60. What was the percent change in the number of applicants from September to January?

(1) The number of applicants in January was one-third the number of applicants in September
(2) The number of applicants in January was 20

The OA is D.

I need help with this DS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 am
swerve wrote:A job opening was posted in September and again in January. In September, the number of applicants for the position was 60. What was the percent change in the number of applicants from September to January?

(1) The number of applicants in January was one-third the number of applicants in September

The OA is D.

I need help with this DS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks.
The percent change in the number of applicants from September to January is given by

{[(# of applicants in Jan) - (# of applicants in Sept)] / (# of applicants in Sept)} *100% = {[(# of applicants in Jan) - 60] / 60} *100%

If we get # of applicants in Jan, we get the answer.

(1) The number of applicants in January was one-third the number of applicants in September.

=> # of applicants in Jan = 1/3 of 60 = 20. Sufficient

Sufficient.

The correct answer: D

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: New York | Singapore | Doha | Lausanne | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:19 pm
To find the percentage change, all we need is the number of applicants in January. Once we have that, we can use the percent change formula: (New - Old)/Old * 100.

S1: gives us the number of applicants in January, sufficient
S2:: gives us the number of applicants in January, also sufficient!