In many of the world’s regions--- Verbal Review 2018

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
In many of the world's regions, increasing pressure on water resources has resulted both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward.

A) both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward
B) both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern
C) from expanding development, changes in climate, and also from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward
D) from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern
E) from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern

OA: D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:18 am
Mo2men wrote:In many of the world's regions, increasing pressure on water resources has resulted both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward.

A) both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward
B) both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern
C) from expanding development, changes in climate, and also from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward
D) from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern
E) from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern

A: both from development, changes, and...pollution
both cannot serve to introduce a list of three things.
both...and must serve to refer to EXACTLY TWO things.
Eliminate A.

both...and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
B: both FROM...and POLLUTION
Here, from (preposition) and pollution (noun) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B.

In C, future and going forward are redundant.
Eliminate C.

E: from expansion, changes and from pollution
Here, from serves to introduce the first and third entries in the list but not the second.
The result is a lack of parallelism.
Parallel:
from expansion, from changes, and from pollution
from expansion, changes, and pollution

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:In many of the world's regions, increasing pressure on water resources has resulted both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward.

A: both from development, changes, and...pollution
both cannot serve to introduce a list of three things.
both...and must serve to refer to EXACTLY TWO things.
Eliminate A.

both...and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
B: both FROM...and POLLUTION
Here, from (preposition) and pollution (noun) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B.

In C, future and going forward are redundant.
Eliminate C.

E: from expansion, changes and from pollution
Here, from serves to introduce the first and third entries in the list but not the second.
Parallel:

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hi Micth,

does see have other error in choice C? do you consider 'and also' redundant in that case?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:20 am
Mo2men wrote:does see have other error in choice C?
C: from expanding development, changes in climate, and also from pollution
Here -- as in option E -- from serves to introduce the first and third entries in the list but not the second.
Parallel:

Eliminate C.

C: the future supply is...a matter of concern
Here, the portion in red adds no meaning and thus is redundant with the term in blue.
The following is sufficient to convey the entire meaning:
The future supply is a concern.
do you consider 'and also' redundant in that case?
While the usage of also in C seems extraneous, I would cite less debatable reasons to eliminate this answer choice, since and also has appeared in OAs.
For more on this issue, check my post here:
https://qa.www.beatthegmat.com/redundancy-t280921.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3