The School of Architecture at Augury University had...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:2 members
The School of Architecture at Augury University had 300 applicants this year. Of these applicants two-thirds had previous experience working in an architectural office and two-fifths had extensive artistic portfolios. If one-third of the applicants had neither extensive portfolios nor work experience in an architectural office then how many of the applicants had both extensive portfolios and work experience in an architectural office?

A. 200
B. 120
C. 100
D. 80
E. 20

The OA is B.

Please, can any expert help me with this PS question? I don't have it clear. Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 am
Hello.

Let's see the hypothesis step by step.

Total of applicants: 300.

- two-thirds had previous experience working in an architectural office: this is equivalent to $$\frac{2}{3}\cdot300=200\ applicants.$$

- two-fifths had extensive artistic portfolios: this is equivalent to $$\frac{2}{5}\cdot300=120\ applicants.$$

- one-third of the applicants had neither extensive portfolios nor work experience in an architectural office: this is equivalent to $$\frac{1}{3}\cdot300=100\ applicants.$$

So, all the applicants who had extensive artistic portfolios also had previous experience working in an architectural office, this is 120.

The correct answer is B.

I hope this explanation can help you.

I'm available if you'd like a follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 am
This problem involves two overlapping sets (experience vs. no experience and portfolio vs. no portfolio), so we should immediately start making a double matrix. Double matrices help us to organize the information we have so we know what we can and can't figure out. (Note: if we have more than two overlapping sets, a Venn Diagram is probably your best bet.)

So we start by making our matrix:

Note that we filled in 1 for the Total number of applicants since we are dealing with fractions.

Then we fill in what we know from the problem:

In a double matrix, the top two cells in each column should add up to the total in the bottom cell in the column, and the leftmost two cells in each row should add up to the total in the rightmost cell in the row. This means that if we have two cells in one row or two cells in one columns, we can use that information in the table to fill in the third cell. Let's see what else we can determine in our table:

then

and finally

So 2/5 of the applications have both experience and a portfolio. There are 300 total applicants, so 2/5 * 300 = 120.

Note: We didn't actually need to solve for all of the cells in this problem - we only need to solve for enough to get the top left cell (both experience and portfolio). This means we could have gotten away without solving for experience and no portfolio, which would have saved us time converting to fifteenths.

Note 2: You *can* do this kind of problem in your head, but I highly recommend using some sort of diagram to keep track of your information. They're easy to draw on your scratch pad, and they keep you from getting all of those numbers and relationships mixed up.

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 pm
AAPL wrote:The School of Architecture at Augury University had 300 applicants this year. Of these applicants two-thirds had previous experience working in an architectural office and two-fifths had extensive artistic portfolios. If one-third of the applicants had neither extensive portfolios nor work experience in an architectural office then how many of the applicants had both extensive portfolios and work experience in an architectural office?

A. 200
B. 120
C. 100
D. 80
E. 20

The OA is B.

Please, can any expert help me with this PS question? I don't have it clear. Thanks.

We can use the formula:

Total = Work Experience + Artistic Portfolio - Both + Neither

300 = â…”(300) + â…–(300) - B + â…“(300)

300 = 200 + 120 - B + 100

300 = 420 - B

B = 120

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage