1000 SC-#40

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

1000 SC-#40

by dabulaila » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 pm
According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

(A) equivalent to the enrollment of

(B) the equivalent of those enrolled in

(C) equal to those who are enrolled in

(D) as many as the enrollment of

(E) as many as are enrolled in

why the answer is E ?? I didn't get it !!!! :shock:

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by SigGolfer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:34 am
I am assuming that the underlined portion is supposed to be equivalent to the enrollment of ?

The first thing I did was knock out A, B, and C. I can't provide you with a specific grammer rule as to why. It just seems that 'about' and 'equivalent/equal' don't fit together. It's either equivalent or it's about as many.

From that point, I nixed D because it inproperly relates 8 million to enrollment. The sentence could have been correct, if it compared parallel structures, i.e. "the enrollment of 8 million..... was as many as the enrollment of..." Or something like that.

That leaves E.

I hope this helped. Again, I apologize for not being able to cite specific grammer rules that would make it clearer for you.

Followed by:6 members

by BTGmoderatorRO » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:56 am
option A is the correct answer because we don't say 'equivalent of' but 'equivalent to'. the option further gives the true usage of the word 'equivalent'.

in option B, it is incorrect because it is not right to say 'equivalent of' and this is what differentiate option A from B
in option C, it is improper to say 'about equal'. it is either something is equal or not.
in option D, 'about as many as' . This option suffers parallelism and it is does fit in to this question
option E also suffer the same fate as that of option D