Alan has split his savings equally into two accounts.

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members
Alan has split his savings equally into two accounts. The first one is a simple interest savings account with 22% annual interest and the other is a savings account with r% annual compound interest. If both accounts have the same balance after two years, what is the value of r?

A. 11
B. 14.25
C. 18.5
D. 20
E. Cannot be determined

What formula should i use in figuring the correct Option in this problem? Can some experts help?

OA D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm
lheiannie07 wrote:Alan has split his savings equally into two accounts. The first one is a simple interest savings account with 22% annual interest and the other is a savings account with r% annual compound interest. If both accounts have the same balance after two years, what is the value of r?

A. 11
B. 14.25
C. 18.5
D. 20
E. Cannot be determined

What formula should i use in figuring the correct Option in this problem? Can some experts help?

OA D
Let's tackle this one without using any formulae.

Let's first talk about the first account (Simple interest saving account).

Interest in the first year = 22%;
Interest in the second year = 22%; Interest does not compound in case of simple interest.

Total interest in two years = 2*22% = 44%

Now, let's talk about the second account (Compound interest saving account).

Interest in the first year = r%;
Interest in the second year = r% + (r% of r%); Interest gets compounded in case of compound interest.

Total interest in two years = r% + (r% + r% of r%) = 2r% + r%*r% = r%(2 + r%)

We know that after two years, the interests are same from both the accounts, thus,

44% = r%(2 + r%)

44 = r(2 + r/100)

Solving for r would involve handling a quadratic equation, which may be time-consuming. Let's think of another approach.

Let's plug-in the values from the options. Since option D = 20 is the easiest one to handle, let's try this first.

@r = 20, the value of r(2 + r/100) = 20(2 + 20/100) = [20*2 + (20*20/100)] = 40 + 4 = 44%. It matches the desired result. Thus, option D is the correct answer.

The correct answer: D

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Download free ebook: Manhattan Review GMAT Quantitative Question Bank Guide

Locations: New York | Vienna | Kuala Lumpur | Sydney | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:32 am
lheiannie07 wrote:Alan has split his savings equally into two accounts. The first one is a simple interest savings account with 22% annual interest and the other is a savings account with r% annual compound interest. If both accounts have the same balance after two years, what is the value of r?

A. 11
B. 14.25
C. 18.5
D. 20
E. Cannot be determined
Let the savings in each account = 100.

In the account with simple annual interest of 22%:
Total after the first year = 100 + (22% of 100) = 100+22 = 122.
Total after the second year = 122 + (22% of 100) = 122+122 = 144.

For the account with r% COMPOUNDED annual interest, we can PLUG IN THE ANSWERS, which represent the value of r.
After two years, the account with compounded annual interest must hold $144 -- the same amount yielded by the account with simple annual interest.

D: 20%
Total after the first year = 100 + (20% of 100) = 100+20 = 120.
Total after the second year = 120 + (20% of 120) = 120+24 = 144.
Success!

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3