The tiny nation of Navatanya won seven...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

The tiny nation of Navatanya won seven...

by Vincen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am
The tiny nation of Navatanya won seven gold medals at the last Olympics. Most of the country's top athletes come from impoverished rural areas where a career in sports is seen as a way to break the grip of poverty. However, the government of Navatanya considers athletes to be government employees, and it strictly limits their commercial activities. Because of this, several of the athletes who represented Navatanya at the last Olympics have decided to become coaches, and they will no longer compete at the international level.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

A)It is unlikely that Navatanya will win at least seven gold medals at the next Olympics.

B)Several athletes from Navatanya who won gold medals at the last Olympics will not compete at the next Olympics

C)Some of the athletes from Navatanya who competed at the last Olympics will not be at the next Olympics.

D)No athletes from Navatanya who won gold medals at the last Olympics came from wealthy areas of the country.

E)The athletes that will represent Navatanya at the next Olympics will not be the same group of athletes who represented Navatanya at the last Olympics.

E is the OA.

Why E is the right option? The A statement seems true to me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm
Checking back this CR question, I noticed that A is wrong but now I have a new doubt.

What is wrong with option C? Experts, can you help me?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:38 pm
Hi. Since you've figured out what's wrong with A, let's look at Choice C.

The question presents you with evidence and then asks you for a conclusion -- something that must be true. Choice C is sly. It says that some of the athletes from Navatanya who competed at the last Olympics will not be at the next Olympics. However, it might be that every one of the athletes returns, though some will now be coaches. They won't compete, but they will "be at the next Olympics." The athletes representing the country will not be the same group of athletes, however, and this is what correct choice E says.

I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.