The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony . . .

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance, for most of the orchestra members played poorly throughout the two hour concert.

A) for most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.

B) in that most of the orchestra members performed throughout the two hour concert in a poor manner.

C) When most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.

D) despite most of the orchestra members performing poorly throughout the two hour concert.

E) even though most of the orchestra members made a poor performance throughout the two hour concert.

The OA is A.

What is wrong with option C?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790
Vincen wrote:What is wrong with option C?
A when-clause must refer to an action that happens AT THE SAME TIME as the action in the main clause.
C: The beautiful cello solo at the end of the symphony may have salvaged the performance, when most of the orchestra members performed poorly throughout the two hour concert.
Here, the main-clause refers to action that happened AT THE END OF THE SYMPHONY, whereas the when-clause refers to an action that happened THROUGHOUT THE TWO-HOUR CONCERT.
Since the two actions do not happen at the same time, eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3