Og 13 number 43 ratio

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Og 13 number 43 ratio

by hutch27 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 am
If p1 and p2 are the populations and r1 and r2 are the numbers of representatives of district 1 and district 2, respectively, the ratio of the population to the number of representatives is greater for which of the two districts?

1) p1 > p2
2) r2>r1

I'm having trouble finding the sufficiency when both statements are combined

Oa is c

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am
hutch27 wrote:If p1 and p2 are the populations and r1 and r2 are the numbers of representatives of district 1 and district 2, respectively, the ratio of the population to the number of representatives is greater for which of the two districts?

1) p1 > p2
2) r2>r1

Oa is c

Target question: The ratio of the population to the number of representatives is greater for which of the two districts?

This is a great candidate for rephrasing the target question.

Rephrased target question: Which is greater: p1/r1 or p2/r2 ?

Statement 1: p1 > p2
There are several sets of numbers that meet this condition. Here are two:
Case a: p1 = 3, r1 = 1, p2 = 2, r2 = 1, in which case p1/r1 > p2/r2
Case b: p1 = 3, r1 = 3, p2 = 2, r2 = 1, in which case p1/r1 < p2/r2
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: r2 > r1
There are several sets of numbers that meet this condition. Here are two:
Case a: p1 = 12, r1 = 2, p2 = 3, r2 = 3, in which case p1/r1 > p2/r2
Case b: p1 = 2, r1 = 2, p2 = 12, r2 = 3, in which case p1/r1 < p2/r2
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined:
Let's use big font to show that one value is bigger than another value.
So, from statement 1, we get p1 and p2
From statement 2, we get r2 and r1

Now which is bigger, p1/r1 or p2/r2?
We can see now that p1/r1 is definitely greater than p2/r2
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 pm
hutch27 wrote:If p1 and p2 are the populations and r1 and r2 are the numbers of representatives of district 1 and district 2, respectively, the ratio of the population to the number of representatives is greater for which of the two districts?

1) p1 > p2
2) r2>r1

I'm having trouble finding the sufficiency when both statements are combined

Oa is c
Is P1/R1 > P2/R2?

Since this problem is restricted to positive integers, the question stem can be rephrased:

Is (P1)(R2) > (P2)(R1)?

Statement 1: P1>P2
Without knowing the relationship between R2 and R1, no way to determine whether (P1)(R2) > (P2)(R1).

Statement 2: R2>R1
Without knowing the relationship between P1 and P2, no way to determine whether (P1)(R2) > (P2)(R1).

Statements 1 and 2 combined:
Since each value on the left side (P1 and R2) is greater than the corresponding value on the right side (P2 and R1), (P1)(R2) > (P2)(R1).
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 pm
When we're thinking about sufficiency, it's best to frame all DS questions as either yes/no or value questions. One of the trickiest things about this question is that it's not a yes/no question as it's written. Both of my fellow experts have put forth good solutions, but I just want to note a few things that students of mine have struggled with in this problem...

- If you have a non-yes/no question like "which one is greater?", just turn it into a yes/no. You could say "is the first one greater?" or "is the second one greater?" It doesn't matter which inequality you choose, because if you get a definitive answer, you can tell which one is greater.

- when it comes to ratios, it's always better to put things in fractional form than colon form. The ratio of p1 to r1 can be written as p1:r1, but that's not very helpful mathematically (a colon is not an operation). Writing it as p1/r1 is a lot more helpful.

From here, picking values or cross-multiplying and solving algebraically both work well.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 pm

1) p1 > p2
2) r2>r1
We are asked to determine which of the values, p1/r1 or p2/r2, is greater.

We can determine which value is greater in either one of the following scenarios:

i) If p1 > p2 and r1 < r2, then p1/r1 > p2/r2.

ii) If p2 > p1 and r2 < r1, then p2/r2 > p1/r1.

Statement One Alone:

p1 > p2

Since we don't know anything about r1 and r2, statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

r2 > r1

Since we don't know anything about p1 and p2, statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Since we know p1 > p2 and r1 < r2, we can see that p1/r1 is the greater ratio.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage