Clarification please help!!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Clarification please help!!

by Salaj » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 am
Hi

I have a very poor GPA of 2.4. I am aiming for a score of 700+. I will have a WE of 24 months by this November in Information Technology sector.To be frank i don't have anything exceptional to present.Can you please suggest me how to proceed to get a good college in Canada or Australia.Please help, according to what i have read till now, it seems that i have no chance of getting a good college. All this is really making me rethink about my decision to take the test.

Thanks
Sinha

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 am
The bad news is... business schools look at applicants as a total package. A strong GMAT score will not make up for an otherwise lackluster application. So just pushing yourself to get a top GMAT score now may not actually help your chances.

The good news is... business schools look at the total package! So a low GPA alone might not kill your chances, provided that you are able to prove your abilities elsewhere. If you've only been out of university for 2 or 3 years, your GPA will weigh more heavily than if you've been out for 5-8 years and have a track record of success in your career.

Another good option to showcase your skills: take some graduate-level courses in your spare time. Many universities offer continuing education courses for non-degree credit, or you can take online courses from EdX or Coursera. If you work hard enough to earn a good grade / credential in those (especially if you develop a good rapport with the professor), that can show that you've developed maturity and focus since undergrad. This might mean taking an extra year or two to take classes before applying.

Many of the admissions consulting firms featured on this site offer free consultations. I have personally worked extensively with mbamission.com and recommend them highly. I advise that you schedule a consultation and ask the consultant for specific recommendations for what you can do to improve your chances.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Junaid Saleem » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 am
Salaj wrote:Hi

I have a very poor GPA of 2.4. I am aiming for a score of 700+. I will have a WE of 24 months by this November in Information Technology sector.To be frank i don't have anything exceptional to present.Can you please suggest me how to proceed to get a good college in Canada or Australia.Please help, according to what i have read till now, it seems that i have no chance of getting a good college. All this is really making me rethink about my decision to take the test.

Thanks
Sinha
Hi Sinha,

Yes, you carry a low GPA score but we can suggest you to work hard and prepare for your GMAT. Take GMAT coaching and also take few mock tests from Kaplan which will help you score a good GMAT.

Having said this, we suggest you to wait for few more months and apply as the average WE required is 3-5 years. Shortlist b-schools according to your profile so that you can expect a positive response from the b-school. And its just not the number games that can take you to a good b-school, its your essays which can get you an interview call and an interview can get you an admit.

You need to showcase your achievements that you have received during the tenure of your career. You need to showcase your leadership qualities which is one of most important quality that any b-school looks into the applicant. You have to represent yourself in a very unique way through your essays.

Mention your short term goals long term goals. Show them how passionate you are in terms of your career and goals. Excellent extra curriculum activities will definitely improve your chances of getting into a good b-school.

Please tell more about your profile like your short term goals, long term goals(next ten years) , about your extra curriculum activities, if any participation in NGO's so that we can guide and help you increasing your chances.

Kindly get back for for any further assistance on shortlisting of b-schools.
General Education - India's premier Application Consulting company.

Get Advice: +91- 96205 55680 |

For your chances of getting to a particular school, visit - https://www.genedmba.com/chances-bschool/?key=IRs08YFjS0

To look at some of the Testimonials for our awesome work - https://www.genedmba.com/testimonials/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 pm
Hi Salaj,

You've few mountains (IT, 2.4) to climb. And # of applications in most Canadian schools went up this year, making it more competitive to get in than in previous years. Your best bet is to score high on GMAT (at least 700), apply early in schools which have rolling admissions, and submit a strong application. It's difficult, but not insurmountable. Work on things which are in your hand. (To encourage you, I know of an applicant who got into a top 3 Canadian school with GPA of 2.0 and an adversely high age. He also landed a $40k+ fellowship. His positives: 710 on GMAT, solid professional experience, and a strong application.)
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis