IE Business School Programmes

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

IE Business School Programmes

by robin35 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:54 pm
Hello,

I'd like to apply to the IE Business School for my master's. Their graduate school application allows you to select up to 2 programmes of your choice for each application.
I wish to apply to the International MBA as well as the Masters in Market Research and Consumer Behaviour - while I'm interested in both the courses, I know that the IMBA is a little over my budget and I'd have to depend on financial aid for it. My idea of applying to both programmes is to have a choice and probably go for the non MBA programme in case I do not get a decent scholarship.
Is this approach alright for the application? I'm worried about what the interview would be like if I go ahead with this application.

Please advise.

Thanks!

by robin35 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:31 pm
I'd appreciate any help here really! Please advise.
Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 am
Hi Robin,
I'd need more information about you in order to weigh in on your question. Let's start with your "fit": where do you align with IE's incoming class in terms of demographics, GPA/GMAT, post-MBA goals, etc? If you're a strong fit, why do you think you might not get financial assistance? How much have you been able to review the scholarships, grants and loans available to students like you? I'd like to be able to assess if this is a realistic concern or if you are over-worrying the process.

Generally I like to see people totally committed to the program they're interviewing for, since any hesitation will probably leak out. Also, if finances are a concern, there is no reason you can't be fully transparent about that as an applicant. That said, I've rarely seen applicants pass up a school's offer because they can't raise the money; sometimes a larger aid package tempts an applicant to one program over another, but an international MBA is such a life-changer -- somehow, people all seem to figure out how to finance it.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by robin35 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:12 pm
Hello Margaret,

Thank you for your response.
To talk a little bit more about my profile, I have been working as a software consultant for a little over 3 years with globally reknown companies. I've got significant international exposure as well having worked in countries in Asia, the Middle East, and Europe. I hold a 3.3 GPA and I will be writing the ieGAT, the entrance exam for the IE Business School, next month when it's conducted in my city.

As for the application, I am more comfortable knowing I already have sufficient funds at hand without relying too much on the external funding options available, given that scholarships/fellowships are granted to you based on availability after you have been admitted to the programme. And you've highlighted just my concern, which is coming off as uncommitted to either one of the programmes. Loans are the more certain method of financing my degree, but I'm worried about being heavily indebted at the end of the course.
I'm stuck in such a dilemma about this!

Thank you.

Best,
Robin

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:16 am
Hi Robin,
You will most likely have an opportunity to discuss these funding concerns in your IE application. A good way to present "need" could be to discuss the way loans would impact your post-MBA career choices. For example, some applicants might prefer to choose a post-MBA role that is in a less lucrative but more public-minded organization or track, but might have to accept a more profitable offer because they owe so much in student loans. If that's part of your career vision, you can point out that having a lower pay-back amount post-MBA will enable you to take more risks. In my experience, European schools tend to want a very clear explanation of precisely what you have and what you need, financially, so be prepared to crank out the numbers. It's a bit ahead of the game right now, but something to start thinking about.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me