Profile evaluation request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation request

by Arjun Khurana » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 am
Hello!
Like everyone, I wish to do my MIM from one of the best B Schools and would like to get some guidance regarding the admission process for the same. It would be great if you could help me out!

My profile:
10th standard- CGPA of 8.2 (2011)
12th standard- 91 percent (2013)
B.Tech, from GGSIP University- 78 percent (till pre final year-year of passing-2017)
Extra curricular- Very good public speaking skills, that helped me win several competitive events, have also learned Japanese
Exams- Not taken any, though I took CAT.

My question to you is, that how should I make my profile strong enough for admission to the top B Schools like HEC, ESSEC, ESCP and EBS, besides writing GMAT and IELTS? I am planning for the 2018 intake and am interested in studying international business from a reputed European B School.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 am
Hi Arjun,
Top MiM programs are looking for well-rounded young applicants, and your resume and essays will give you opportunities to display your strengths in many different areas. I don't have enough information about you to give you more than a quick summary -- your numbers are good, and of course you want to apply with a GMAT at or above the school's current class average. But other factors are important as well. Leadership is always #1, so if you have greatest achievements that have a leadership/impact component, those are the achievements you should highlight. If you're asked about other interests or activities, showing breadth of interest -- sports, music, cultures, cuisines -- will make you even more appealing as a prospective member of their community.
To sum up: balance. Be outstanding, focus on how you impact others, and show that you bring a wide variety of interests and activities to your class.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Arjun Khurana » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:17 am
Thanks for your reply, ma'am.
Actually I just looked at the profiles of the students studying at the B Schools I am aiming for:
HEC, ESSEC, ESCP and frankly speaking, my profile at this stage, when I have only about 2.5 months before my graduation, seems to be almost nothing.
I haven't done any internships, volunteer work and other tasks that showcase my leadership and creativity.

So, will it be unreasonable to aim for the B schools that I have mentioned above, considering my current situation? I have also shortlisted EBS (Germany), Edhec Business School and kept Grenoble Ecole de management as a backup option.

Can you please suggest me what to do to build up my profile (if that's possible now!)? I seem to be quite confused as to what my plan of action should be now!

Regards,
Arjun

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:07 am
What should you do next? That depends on what you hope to get from your studies. If you are committed to these specific programs, you might want to take the road most traveled and work for a couple of years before you apply. If you're committed to starting your studies immediately, it's best to focus on schools that are most responsive to applicants with your overall profile.

I don't recommend trying to be an "exception" to whatever a program's acceptance patterns are, i.e. trying to get into schools that prefer applicants with two or three years of work experience when you don't have that yet, because that might indicate that you're targeting the wrong program for your actual needs. Many schools build their teaching on the assumption that students bring a certain level of experience into the classroom, and you might not get the developmental support you need at this stage from a program like that.
In other words, best to be realistic about where you are and what the school offers.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me