Additional Courses

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Additional Courses

by dave12 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:14 pm
Hello! I had a question on taking courses to improve an MBA application.

I've read how acing courses at local colleges can help your application if you do not have a quant background or strong test scores. However, my GMAT and GPA are competitive for my target schools, and I was a finance major in undergrad. I was wondering if taking an extra course would still be valuable, even if my quant background is fairly strong.

Do you think it would be helpful / a worthwhile investment to take a class such as a business strategy course at the Harvard Extension School? I was thinking this might help demonstrate motivation, and give me valuable exposure to the case method. Would this improve my application?

Thank you!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dave12 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:14 pm
In addition, I thought the class could be a valuable talking point in essays/admissions interviews.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm
Hi Dave,
Top business schools love to see applicants who strive to improve, even after submitting their applications. However, be sure you really need the courses you are taking. If you're taking a course just for brand value, it might not be as effective as a course that you've identified to target a specific weakness. For example, if your leadership is spotty, taking a course that works on leadership fundamentals would demonstrate your commitment to shore up this area. So no matter how strong you already feel as an applicant, being truly self-analytical and targeting your weaknesses in this coursework would give you even more "talking points" in an interview.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me