Over-represented Applicants

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Over-represented Applicants

by Ubermotivated » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:35 am
Hi everyone,

Just have a quick question regarding the so-called over-represented applicant pool. When schools compare candidates, do they pool people of the same nationality or ethnicity?

I am Chinese but a Canadian citizen who has been educated in Canada for the past 10 years. Will adcom put me in the ridiculously competitive Chinese pool or consider me as a Canadian applicant?

Any insight would be appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:19 pm
That's kind of a gray area, but if you were my client we would certainly focus on emphasizing how Canadian you are. Of course it's important that your numbers be high, not only because of the high GMATs and GPAs of applicants from China but also because it's often the numbers that first get you on the "dartboard" for top MBA programs. But as a Canadian, you will also have more opportunities to differentiate, especially in the area of community service and university involvements, so you can take full advantage of that to show yourself as woven into the Canadian community. Remember, admission to top business school is a holistic process, and as a Canadian, you have access to opportunities that overseas applicants don't have. Make the most of these opportunities, and you should do fine.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ubermotivated » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:38 pm
Margaret Strother wrote:That's kind of a gray area, but if you were my client we would certainly focus on emphasizing how Canadian you are. Of course it's important that your numbers be high, not only because of the high GMATs and GPAs of applicants from China but also because it's often the numbers that first get you on the "dartboard" for top MBA programs. But as a Canadian, you will also have more opportunities to differentiate, especially in the area of community service and university involvements, so you can take full advantage of that to show yourself as woven into the Canadian community. Remember, admission to top business school is a holistic process, and as a Canadian, you have access to opportunities that overseas applicants don't have. Make the most of these opportunities, and you should do fine.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Thank you for the timely response Margaret!

I am actually applying for top MiM programs and have heard horror stories of how a 680 GMAT would equate to a 720 standard for Chinese applicants. That is quite a ridiculous standard in my opinion for someone who has been educated in a completely different system.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:41 am
I don't think you need to worry so much about this, it's kind of like looking over your shoulder when you're sprinting...but let me give you a few hypotheticals to take into consideration:

First, what is the average/median GMAT at the MiM programs you're considering? This is not easy information to find, but in general GMATs for MiM programs tend a bit lower than MBA programs, in the 680-700 range. To be maximally competitive, you want to be at or above the median for the program you're applying to.

Second, take the "compete against your twin" test: the person you're competing with isn't some unknown factor from China or Canada, but, simply, someone like YOU. Imagine that you're competing against your twin, but there's only room for one of you in this program. How can you get the edge over this twin in every possible area? You'll find that there's not much you or your hypothetical twin can do about being Chinese-Canadian, that's unchangeable fact. But you CAN change your GMAT -- so you should not let yourself off the hook here. You don't want your twin to edge you out over something that is in your own hands!

Hope this helps,
Margaret
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:56 am
Hi there,
You can read our tips on that subject here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-guide-for- ... 87577.html
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young