Profile Eval for MSF and MBA in the future

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval for MSF and MBA in the future

by grh582 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:13 pm
Hi,

Thank you for your help!
So I am currently on my last semester of my UG, and am thinking about getting a masters of finance from a top school, if possible. Maybe an MBA sometime in the future if I don't do the MSF. I've been doing a lot of research, but it has been hard to find info on finance graduate programs.

Stats
UG: Public US university with top 5 Finance program
Major: Finance
GMAT: 740 (49Q/41V/7IR)
GPA: 3.2
Experience: Multiple internships, 1 at a brand name asset manager

Do I have a decent chance of getting into a good MSF program or MBA program sometime in the future?

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:29 am
Hi there,

I can answer your question as it relates to MBA programs since that's where my expertise lies :) The short answer is yes, based on the information you provided, you definitely have a chance of getting into a top MBA program. However, there are a lot of unknowns about your profile right now that could be significant factors in an admissions decision. Most important of those is work experience. Admits at the top programs have anywhere from 4-6 years of work experience on average. What you do professionally in those years is going to extremely important - the rigor and level of responsibility in your role, leadership experience and impact, progression (i.e. getting promoted), working on teams/across groups or divisions, etc. For you right now, I would focus on finishing your last semester with a bang (anything you can do to lift your GPA) and getting the best job you can doing something that will prepare you for your longer-term goals. Extra-curriculars are also important in an MBA application - not only the occasional volunteer activity (although that's great!) but ideally a deeper commitment and involvement in a cause or organization that's important to you. This is another great way to get leadership experience if your job is limited in that way.

In summary, I would say you have the makings of a strong MBA candidate but I would plan on applying 4 or 5 years down the road. In the meantime, focus on getting a great job and kicking butt in that job! Best of luck!

Kindly,
Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!