Average Difficulty vs Overall Score

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Average Difficulty vs Overall Score

by zubkovks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 am
Hi, everyone!

I've enrolled to ManhattanPrep online course and finally decided to take my full-length CAT test.
My score was only 600 (Q43 and V30), which is pretty bad for me (even though I have 3 months more to prepare).
I decided to check my assessment report using analyzing tool by Manhattan prep and saw that average difficulties for right and wrong questions in each category were higher than I had as 'Final Score'.
Screenshot of analysis:

Please, could you explain to me what's wrong with it?
I know that GMAT is a computer-adaptive test, but it appears I was right last both Quant and Verbal questions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 am
The image you posted is too small. Even when I zoomed, I could not see what it says, as the letters were not clear.

In any case, the algorithm for calculating a score is fairly complex, and so there are various reasons why it could make sense that your score would be lower than the average difficulty level of the questions you saw.

You may get some insights by looking at the percentile levels shown in the extreme right column in the lists of questions that showed up in each section.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.