Strong enough for LBS? Geologist/5+ years intl.exp./660 GMAT

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:660
Hi everyone,

I could really use some good advice for my MBA applications. Please consider the following:

Target school: First choice LBS, second choice Imperial/Cass (September 2017 intake)

GMAT: This is the tricky part. I sat my GMAT today and my score was right on the cut-off I had set myself. I scored an overall 660 with Q47 and V34 (IR 7 for what it's worth). I had a nightmare getting to the test centre and I was stressed... Could do better (but time is running out...)

Academic background: BSc in Geoscience (2:1) from a German top university // 1st Class Postgraduate Diploma in Science (Geology and Geophysics) from Auckland University NZ // 1st Class MSc in Petroleum Geoscience from the University of Aberdeen UK (globally one of the highest ranked courses in petroleum geoscience).

Experience: My career background is primarily in oil and gas exploration and production (Maersk Oil // Canadian Natural Resources), with some gold exploration for a small firm. I am a hybrid between a geologist and an engineer. I have worked in Colombia, UK, Denmark, Norway, and Qatar. I was lucky enough that my previous employer has invested a lot in my professional training with lots of business oriented courses, including a mini-MBA from UC Berkeley.

Personal: German male, 31 yo, speaking 3.5 languages (German, English, Spanish, and a bit of Danish)

I am confident that all in all my CV is fairly strong, having studied and worked internationally for 8 years across 7 countries. I'm just a little worried regarding my GMAT. To re-take or not to re-take? Can I compensate for my 'low' GMAT with a strong CV?

I want to make the January deadline for the 2nd round. Alternatively I could do the GMAT again and try my luck in the 3rd round. Which one is better?? Also I am hoping for a scholarship, which is making things more tricky... ;)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by Rosenkatze on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:24 pm
Rosenkatze wrote:Hi everyone,

I sat my GMAT today and my score was right on the cut-off I had set myself. I scored an overall 660 with Q47 and V34 (IR 7 for what it's worth). LBS is my target school, and Imperial/Cass are a solid plan B.

I have a BSc in Geoscience (2:1) from a German top university and two 1st class postgrad degrees including a Postgraduate Diploma in Science from Auckland University NZ, and an MSc in Petroleum Geoscience from Aberdeen University.

My career is primarily in oil with some gold exploration. I have worked for blue chip organisations and small companies in Colombia, UK, Denmark, Norway, and Qatar. My previous employer has invested a lot in me with lots of business oriented training including a mini-MBA from UC Berkeley.

I guess in all my CV is fairly strong, having studied and worked internationally for 8 years across 7 countries. I'm just a little worried regarding my GMAT. To re-take or not to re-take? Can I compensate for my 'low' GMAT with a strong CV?

I want to make the January deadline for the 2nd round. Alternatively I could do the GMAT again and try my luck in the 3rd round. Which one is better?? Also I am hoping for a scholarship, which is making things more tricky... ;)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)
Your CV looks excellent, even though I am missing some details I can see no issues there but the GMAT score is a bit low for LBS. So while you could apply and hope for the best (a strong CV does help), I would strongly encourage you to consider a re-take. You do want to give the application your all after all, so if you do believe you could do better (and it sounds like you do) a better score would really help you with LBS. If you are okay with your backup options as well, I would apply without retaking, however. So it all comes down to how much you want LBS specifically, as that school in particular could be a bit of a hit or miss in your case.
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by Rosenkatze » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:36 pm
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the swift reply! I just edited my original post to add some clarity to my profile.

I really appreciate what you're saying about LBS - it could go either way. Surely though I will have to submit a very convincing application if I want to be considered. I read somewhere that LBS on occasion makes something like conditional offers - asking applicants to re-take the GMAT and come back with a better score (assuming that they really like the rest of the applicants profile/application).

If it doesn't work out, I'd also be happy with my 2nd choices. From what I've seen I really like Imperial and Cass - and I would be more than happy to study there (that's if they take me of course ;) )

Thanks again for your comments!