I brokeup with the GMAT today!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

I brokeup with the GMAT today!

by Biji » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:04 pm
Hi guys,

Today I attempted the GMAT for the 2nd time and managed to get a 710( Q:49, V: 38). Its exhilarating to see the efforts take shape with a score like this!! It took my 6 hard months of study with various practice materials: Powerscore bibles, the OG, the manhattan SC bible, and of course the LSAT books for my poor reading comprehension skills. Trust me I have scored above a 700 only twice so far in my mocks. I am thankful to all those who have helped me in this forum. We may have not met or seen , but the amount of resources this website provides and the ease of reachability to the experts makes the GMAT journey easy for a person trying to crack it with self study.

Thanks again everyone :) Appreciate the help!

I am planning to apply to - USC marshall, Foster school of business, Tepper school of business amongst others. I might reach out again to you guys for that!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hungle » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:59 am
Hi Biji,
So admire your score. My RC is terible. Can u guide me some LsAT books in detail. Currently i dont know how to improve my RC.
Thanks alot.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Biji » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:07 pm
Hey! I know it is tough. Dont lose hope. My problem with RC was that I could never keep my concentration up throughout the passage. I would always lose interest midway. Because of this, my comprehending power went down.

I timed my LSAT passages. each passage I gave 3-4 minutes to read and 1 minute for each question. Depending on the size of the passage. Also try reading a lot of newspaper articles. Those should help.With time and practice, it definitely gets better. Try LSAT TESTS (63-72)

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 am
hungle wrote:Hi Biji,
So admire your score. My RC is terible. Can u guide me some LsAT books in detail. Currently i dont know how to improve my RC.
Thanks alot.
Hi hungle.

GMAT RC is pretty tricky and subtle, and much of what makes the difference between choosing a wrong answer and ending up with the right answer is the process you use when answering a question.

For most people, one key part of an effective RC process is referring back to the passage to find information that supports the answer you choose. It's easy to fool yourself into believing that the passage said something that it did not actually say. So, going back to the passage to see what it did actually say is usually key in getting RC questions right.

One thing you can do to improve your processes is to do the questions untimed. Can you get them right if you spend five minutes per question? if you spend fifteen minutes per question? If not, then, with time basically removed from the equation, figure out what you have to change to get right answers more consistently.

Learning to get right answers is key. If you can't get a right answer after spending twenty minutes on a question, then clearly you won't get a right answer in two minutes either. Conversely, if you can get a right answer after twenty minutes, then in a way you are set, because if your processes lead you to right answers in any amount of time, then you have achieved most of what you have to achieve in order to score high in RC. Once you can get right answers, you can learn to get to the answers faster.

So, if you miss a question, figure out what needed to see and what you had to do differently in order to get it right. By working on noticing what you have to notice and on doing what you have to do to get right answers, you can develop great RC skills.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by jonnyutz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 pm
The key for me for improving in RC was really to just start reading hard material often. Get a subscription to The Economist and Scientific American and read that thing cover to cover EVERY WEEK. It is exhausting, tiring and painful, but you will improve. The retention and comprehension will just start flying to you. The best answer I have is just READ READ READ.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:48 pm
Biji wrote:Hey! I know it is tough. Dont lose hope. My problem with RC was that I could never keep my concentration up throughout the passage. I would always lose interest midway. Because of this, my comprehending power went down.
When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC), I don't believe that there's one specific approach that works best for everyone. I always recommend that students spend some time experimenting with different strategies to see which one best suits their memory, reading speed and English proficiency.

Having said that, when reading ANY Reading Comprehension (RC) passage, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. So, rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading it at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Peru!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.

You'll find additional tips to help you better engage with the passage in this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1123

If you're interested, we have a complete set of videos covering all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com