Help with Study Plan? Targeting a 700+

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help with Study Plan? Targeting a 700+

by momostudys4 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:35 pm
Looking for any and all advice on how to approach GMAT studying until my Test day is mid December. Deadline to apply for this USC program is December 30th

Things I've done so far:

• Took Kaplan GMAT in-person class (9/19-10/06)
    Studied a few weeks on my own, but very inconsistently (10/20-10/28)
    Just signed up for Magoosh
    Quant section is most difficult for me
    Can dedicate 5-6 hours a day to study
Materials I Have:
  • Kaplan GMAt Premier book + online resources
    Magoosh Premium Suscription
Additional notes
  • Have not taken a CAT/diagnostic GMAT yet
    Do not own any MGMAT books
What strategy and study plan should I apply next to hit my goal? Any help is appreciated, thanks![/list]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:10 pm
Hi momostudys4,

Since you've put in some meaningful study already, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) How many hours do you think you can realistically study each week going forward?
3) What is your exact Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:31 am
Hi momostudys4,

Considering that you have already started your prep and even completed a GMAT class, it may be a good idea to take an MBA.com practice exam to determine your baseline GMAT score. That score will allow you to see how far you are from your GMAT score goal and even provide a general idea of your current strengths and weaknesses. Once we have that information, I can provide some more tailored advice.

In the meantime, I am happy to provide some advice related to learning GMAT quant (since that seems to be your weakest topic).

The first thing to understand is that if you work hard and study smart, you can master GMAT quant. Although we are unsure of your current quant score, in general, I usually recommend that my students study between 1 and 2 hours each weekday and 4+ hours each weekend day sometimes over the course of 2 to 5 months. Since you only have around 1.5 months until your exam, be sure to study as much as possible, making GMAT prep a top priority.

When considering a study routine, you must remember that GMAT quant is so challenging in part because you are presented with only 37 questions on any given GMAT, yet those questions come from a huge topic pool. To most efficiently learn such a vast number of topics, you want to strive for linear and targeted learning. In other words, you want to master one topic prior to moving to the next. In your previous round of studying, were you able to prep in this way?

For example, if you are learning about percents, you want to make sure you learn as much as possible about percents: percent less than, percent greater than, variable percents, and percent change. Then it will help to do numerous practice problems on percents (50 or more). After completing the problems, do a thorough analysis of those you incorrectly answered and fix any issues needing more attention. Once those issues have been addressed, move on to the next quant topic.

If find that you need additional quant help, I welcome you to try the Target Test Prep Quant course. The course is quite robust, with 20 chapters and 3,000+ practice GMAT quant questions. We've been able to help many students who, like you, have needed to learn all aspects of GMAT quant.

The trial is $1 and will expire after five days - no automatic billing. Give it a shot. It will be a game-changer for you!

Once you complete the practice exam, feel free to report back here with your score breakdown, or you can contact me directly. We'll get through this together! Let's make it happen!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage