Taking GMAT Early - Still send scores in on test day?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Just finished undergrad in May, had 6 months off before starting work so I'm taking the GMAT to get it done while still in 'study' mode.

My question is if I do not intend on applying for another 3 to 4 years, should I still bother sending my scores to the 5 MBA programs on test day?

I know that my score is good for up to 5 years, but is a 4-year-old 700 worse than a same-year-as-application 700?

Did some googling on these questions and couldn't find many reliable answers.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:26 pm
Hi prc41247,

Business Schools don't care if an applicant's 700 is recent or a few years old - the score still carries the same general 'meaning.' The opportunity to 'lock up' a strong GMAT score now, when you're more free to study, is one that you should take advantage of.

1) Are you currently studying right now?
2) Have you scheduled your Official GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by prc41247 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:31 am
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am studying now to take it in the middle of October. I recently picked up to a more intense level of studying of around 4 hours a day (up from last two months of 2 hours - 3 times per week).

I still want to know if its worth it for me to bother sending my score to business schools on test day. Will they hold my scores?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am
Hi prc41247,

From a financial standpoint, you can potentially save some money by choosing 5 schools to send your Official GMAT scores to. If you don't send your scores, or you end up applying to different Schools later on, then you will have to pay to send each individual score report (the current price is $28/School). The Schools won't really even look at your scores until you actually apply, so you shouldn't be apprehensive about sending your scores.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:03 am
Hi prc41247,

I like your idea of getting the GMAT out of the way before you start working. In fact, I have worked with a number of college seniors who have taken the GMAT and then later used those scores for their applications.

To answer your question, you should not have any problems applying to schools with a 4-year old score. However, to be on the safe side, you should contact admissions at any of the schools to which you plan to apply to get a concrete answer.

Also, by when do you plan to take your GMAT? How long have you been studying?

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews