CR - guess C rather than ABDE on test

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR - guess C rather than ABDE on test

by zoe » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:21 am
Dear instructors,
I need your help to approach the following question
I am confused between B and E

Professor Knight has noticed that students who guess on her multiple-choice tests are significantly more likely to choose answer choice C instead of A, B, D, or E. Basing her judgment on the fact that a variety of students from different social groups and backgrounds all do this, she has concluded that this tendency was acquired from her colleague Professor Leigh's habit of predominantly using C as a correct answer choice, rather than students' natural tendency to choose the middle letter. Professors Knight and Leigh are the only professors who give multiple choice tests in the required classes of the first and second year.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion drawn by Professor Knight?

A) She has noticed that students tend to choose C only at her current school, rather than having noticed this tendency throughout her career.

B) Professor Knight's first-year students do not pick C more than any other letter, but her second-year students, who have all taken the same required classes, do.

C) Professor Leigh has a similar theory and believes that Professor Knight is the cause.

D) The students are required to take the same classes during their first year, but, with the exception of one required lecture, can choose their electives during their second year.

E)�Previous students who learned test techniques from Professor Leigh applied these techniques to tests in Professor Knight's class

Would you please clarify why B is correct and E is incorrect.

thanks a ton

have a nice day
>_~

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by dustystormy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:58 am
Option {B} strengthens the argument because it rules out the possibility first year students are generally biased towards option C, and therefore the conclusion "tendency was acquired from her colleague Professor Leigh's habit of predominantly using C as a correct answer choice" is only rational behind students biased nature.

Option [E] is irrelevant because of previous students as the option doesn't talks about which previous students second yr, third yr, final yr or graduated and how the students concerned in the argument are related to "Previous Students"[/b]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by zoe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 pm
dustystormy wrote:Option [E] is irrelevant because of previous students as the option doesn't talks about which previous students second yr, third yr, final yr or graduated and how the students concerned in the argument are related to "Previous Students"[/b]
I am afraid, I did not get your points.
would you please explain further ?

thanks in advance
have a nice day

>_~