520--->700

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

520--->700

by ahaider1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:27 pm
It was a long climb for me to reach my 700 GMAT. It was a struggle that took 2+ years and countless moments of doubt and despair. But, I'm here to say, it can be conquered. When I first decided I wanted to take the GMAT, I decided to prepare with Manhattan GMAT Prep Books only. I bought all 10 in the series I decided to finish the series and practice GMAT test book problems. When I took the GMAT, I got rocked. I got a lousy 520. Even worse my Quant was a 25. Math is a strength so I never expected to score so low.
But, I decided that wasn't how I was going to down to this test. I restarted my prep this time with Target Test Prep. I must admit that during this time I was going through an incredibly difficult family situation. My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Often times, I was unable to consistently study due to unforeseen hospital visits or issues. I tried to focus at least 3 hours a day towards my math preparation on Target Test prep. Some days I met those goals and some days I did not. It took a good 6 months of preparation for both math and English in order for me to feel prepared to take the GMAT. I scheduled it for this past May. I felt nervous and unprepared.
On the test day, I focused my attention on confidence and quick responsiveness. Problems I didn't think I could solve in less than 2 minutes I skipped. By skipping, it helped me maintain my flow during my exam. In the math, I finished with 5 minutes left in the section. I thought I hadn't done well to finish so soon. In the English, I was starting to get tired. I felt myself lingering on problems and I had to rush the last 10. I averaged a minute on the last 10 problems and I regretted not pushing faster earlier. Finally, I clicked to get my score. I was in shock. 700. Q50V35. The verbal was much lower than I expected but my quant was hard to believe. I never expected to hit Quant 50. It took countless hours through personal trial and tribulation. I had many moments of self doubt. But, I take a lot of pride in my perseverance during this time. I'm also thankful for all the help along the way. I hope if you're reading this, it can provide some type of inspiration if you're having doubts too. This test can be beaten.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:410

by diegocml » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 pm
Hi ahaider1,

Congratulations on your score! 700 is a beautiful thing! Not to mention your Q50 - that's sweeeeettt!

What were your quant and verbal marks when you scored 520? Did you score 520 on the real GMAT or on a practice test?

Would you mind telling me how you organized your study schedule to cover both the TTP curriculum and the verbal content? Did you cover 100% of the TTP material (lessons + exercises)? I'm struggling to prioritize things since the TTP content is massive and I wouldn't like to go beyond 6 months just to finish all the lessons and exercises.

Once again, congrats and celebrate! You've persevered, you've gone through adversity and you've earned it!!
Diego

1st GMAT attemp: 410 (Q18 V27)
2nd GMAT attemp: 490 (Q35 V23)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lpierce10 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:34 am
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 700!!! Wow, that's amazing. I'm currently trying to come up from a sub-600 score. Do you think TTP was instrumental in helping you achieve the score? Some of my friends have Target, I'm just wavering as to whether or not I should purchase since I have so many tools already. What are your thoughts?

I have taken an MGMAT course, and I have OG2016, Verbal & Quant (Blue & green books) + Magoosh.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:32 am
Hi lpierce10,

If you are still considering Target Test Prep, I would be happy to provide a free consultation to help determine whether TTP is right for you. Feel free to PM and we can set up some time to chat.

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews