100 point increase in a month!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

100 point increase in a month!

by carolinegordon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 pm
I sat the GMAT for the first time just over a month ago, expecting a 620 or so based on GMAT prep practise tests (I now realise how naive this was to expect to get the same score as I did in a practise test), and was absolutely gutted to get a 560. After a few days of feeling hopeless, I knuckled back down into the study, did an intensive week of tutoring with Manhattan Prep (online), and then and retook the exam, this time to get a 590. While at least this was an improvement, I had again been expecting a lot higher (I had been getting 670+ in practise tests by this point), and a score of 590 would not have been enough for me to even consider getting into either of my dream schools. Again, 2 days of feeling completely lost past, and I got back into the study for two weeks. I sat again today and got a 660, which I am absolutely stoked with.

The reasons for my improvement were sorting out my time management, getting used to the test and the anxieties that come when setting it (which tended to mess up my timing, and then cause me to panic!), and just increasing my exposure to the types of questions, and learning not to be put off by a question I didn't know. I also found that no matter how much practice I did, my brain was struggling to function by the last half hour. I learnt to expect this, and not to let it upset me during the exam. In terms of my study schedule, I have been studying around 4 hours every day, mostly on quants as I am naturally pretty good at the verbal side of things. My main resource has been working through the OGs, but I've also used every prep question I can find on the GMAT prep software. When I came across something I couldn't work out from the OG answers, I used some of the beat the GMAT pages, and did the daily verbal and quant questions.

I hope my experience can help to encourage others who are struggling despite taking the exam multiple times.
Last edited by carolinegordon on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:08 am
HI carolinegordon,

That's great news about this recent score! For others who might be reading this story, it might help if you could provide a few more details about how you studied, including:

1) How long you studied?
2) What materials did you use?
3) Why did you expect to score 650 on your first two attempts?
4) What School(s) are you planning to apply to?

Congrats again on your success.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]