Please explain the CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Please explain the CR

by src_saurav » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:05 am
Snowmaking machines work by spraying a mist that freezes immediately on contact with cold air. Because the sudden freezing kills bacteria, QuickFreeze is planning to market a wastewater purification system that works on the same principle. The process works only when temperatures are cold, however, so municipalities using it will still need to maintain a conventional system.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for a prediction that municipalities will buy QuickFreeze's purification system despite the need to maintain a conventional purification system as well?

(A) Bacteria are not the only impurities that must be removed from wastewater.
(B) Many municipalities have old wastewater purification systems that need to be replaced.
(C) Conventional wastewater purification systems have not been fully successful in killing bacteria at cold
temperatures.
(D) During times of warm weather, when it is not in use, QuickFreeze's purification system requires relatively
little maintenance.
(E) Places where the winters are cold rarely have a problem of water shortage.

What is the answer and reasons ?

I will tell the answer but later.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fulltapori » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 am
I would go with C, if the only problem that conventional systems have is killing the bacteria " at cold temperatures" then installing the QuickFreeze's purification system would solve that problem.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:46 am
src_saurav wrote:Snowmaking machines work by spraying a mist that freezes immediately on contact with cold air. Because the sudden freezing kills bacteria, QuickFreeze is planning to market a wastewater purification system that works on the same principle. The process works only when temperatures are cold, however, so municipalities using it will still need to maintain a conventional system.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for a prediction that municipalities will buy QuickFreeze's purification system despite the need to maintain a conventional purification system as well?

(B) Many municipalities have old wastewater purification systems that need to be replaced.
(C) Conventional wastewater purification systems have not been fully successful in killing bacteria at cold
temperatures.
(D) During times of warm weather, when it is not in use, QuickFreeze's purification system requires relatively
little maintenance.
This is essentially a RESOLVE/EXPLAIN CR.
In a resolve/explain CR, the correct answer must explain how two facts that seem to contradict each other can be true at the same time.

FACT 1: A municipality that purchases QuickFreeze's purification system will still need to maintain a conventional system.
FACT 2: Despite this costly downside, municipalities will purchase QuickFreeze's purification system.

How can both facts be true at the same time?
QuickFreeze's system must provide a BENEFIT that OUTWEIGHS the system's costly downside.
C: Conventional wastewater purification systems have not been fully successful in killing bacteria at cold temperatures.
Here, the benefit is clear: QuickFreeze's system can kill bacteria that conventional systems cannot.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Needgmat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:15 am
Hi GMATGuruNY,

To be very honest, I still don't understand the question and how should I approach this one?

Is this a strength question or something else?

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance,

Kavin

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:56 am
src_saurav wrote:Snowmaking machines work by spraying a mist that freezes immediately on contact with cold air. Because the sudden freezing kills bacteria, QuickFreeze is planning to market a wastewater purification system that works on the same principle. The process works only when temperatures are cold, however, so municipalities using it will still need to maintain a conventional system.

temperatures.
little maintenance.
Snowmaking machine produces mist that freezes immediately and kills bacteria
QuickFreeze is making purification system based on this but it works only in cold temperature.

We need to give a reason why municipalities will buy this inspite of the limitation.

Only option C tells us the reason by saying that the conventional methods do not work in cold environment
Hence QuickFreeze can fill the gap.

Correct Option: C