Some dairy farmers in the province of Takandia want to give

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Some dairy farmers in the province of Takandia want to give their cows a synthetic hormone that increases milk production. Many Takandians. however, do not want to buy milk from cows given the synthetic hormone. For this reason Takandia's legislature is considering a measure requiring milk from cows given the hormone to be labeled as such. Even if the measure is defeated, dairy farmers who use the hormone will probably lose customers, since ___________

A it has not been proven that any trace of the synthetic hormone exists in the milk of cows given the hormone

B some farmers in Takandia who plan to use the synthetic hormone will probably not do so if the measure were passed

C milk from cows that have not been given the synthetic hormone can be labeled as such without any legislative action

D. the legislature's consideration of the bill has been widely publicized

E milk that comes from cows given the synthetic hormone looks and tastes the same as milk from cows that have not received the hormone

OA:C

Source: OG Verbal 2016,CR Qs.71

@Verbal Experts - could you please explain why EXACTLY D is wrong ? And why OA is preferred to D ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:@Verbal Experts - could you please explain why EXACTLY D is wrong ? And why OA is preferred to D ?
The prompt says "Many Takandians. however, do not want to buy milk from cows given the synthetic hormone." So D, which says that the consideration of the bill has been publicized, does not make much difference, as many Takandians are already aware that some milk comes from cows given the synthetic hormone and had already decided that they prefer milk from cows not given the hormone. The prompt goes on to say "For this reason Takandia's legislature is considering a measure requiring milk from cows given the hormone to be labeled as such." So the Takandians' wanting a way to buy according to their preference is the reason that the legislation is being considered.

Given that the purpose of the legislation is to give the Takandians who prefer milk from cows not given the hormone a way to differentiate between the two types of milk, C is the best answer, because it indicates that even without the legislation, the Takandians will likely have a way to differentiate between the two types of milk, as even though those who sell milk from cows given the hormone would not be required to label it to indicate which type it is, those who sell milk from cows without the hormone can label it to indicate which type it is.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 am
Hi Marty,
Got your explanation...just want to confirm my understanding -

Bottom-line here is that dairy farmers who use the hormone will probably lose customers even without the measure,mentioned in the ARGUMENT, being implemented because it's likely that customers will somehow be able to identify the milk with hormone -- in other words, customers will somehow be able to differentiate between hormone mixed milk and hormone less milk. And hence will thus refrain from buying hormone mixed milk.

Option C clearly hits on this point.

Whereas,Option D doesn't really shed light whether customers can identify the milk with hormone JUST on the basis of their awareness of the legislature's measure because in spite of being aware of hormone mixed milk, it's might NOT likely be possible for them to identify which milk is such (UNLESS there is some CLEAR indication as given in Option C).

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri May 27, 2016 10:40 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Marty,
Got your explanation...just want to confirm my understanding -

Bottom-line here is that dairy farmers who use the hormone will probably lose customers even without the measure,mentioned in the ARGUMENT, being implemented because it's likely that customers will somehow be able to identify the milk with hormone -- in other words, customers will somehow be able to differentiate between hormone mixed milk and hormone less milk. And hence will thus refrain from buying hormone mixed milk.

Option C clearly hits on this point.

Whereas,Option D doesn't really shed light whether customers can identify the milk with hormone JUST on the basis of their awareness of the legislature's measure because in spite of being aware of hormone mixed milk, it's might NOT likely be possible for them to identify which milk is such (UNLESS there is some CLEAR indication as given in Option C).

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct ?
You NAILED it.

I had been thinking in terms of C making a difference, whereas D does not make much of a difference, because consumers are already aware of the issue at hand, but beyond making a difference, really C fits perfectly into the argument in the way that you described.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Saya Charming » Sat May 28, 2016 5:48 am
Yup Answer C