00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans� creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans� creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

OA: B

I'm not really understanding why.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wonderland130 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A is wrong. It not not parallel. Creation vs constructed and decorated is incorrect.
B is parallel since it is"on the creation" and "on construction and decoration"

On this and on that and the words creation , construction and decoration all are parallel

C is incorrect due to the missing on i believe

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:58 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

IMO B is correct answer because...

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
creation....constructed...decorated...= non parallel.

B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
correct.

C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
creation...constructing....decoration...= non parallel.

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
says creating images accounted for energy...whereas the original sentence said energy expended.

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
says creating images accounted for energy...whereas the original sentence said energy expended.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by yogami » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

guys I got B too but in all of these options don't the words "they" or "them" sound ambiguous in terms of referring to the artisans or the buddha images? I know they should refer to images but how do we resolve what it is referring to grammatically?
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

GMAT Score:740

by commit.gmat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

yogami wrote:guys I got B too but in all of these options don't the words "they" or "them" sound ambiguous in terms of referring to the artisans or the buddha images? I know they should refer to images but how do we resolve what it is referring to grammatically?
I do not think there is ambiguity here. artisans' is in possessive form. 'They' can not refer to a possessive noun. Only a possessive pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. That leaves us with the Buddha images.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

commit.gmat wrote:
yogami wrote:guys I got B too but in all of these options don't the words "they" or "them" sound ambiguous in terms of referring to the artisans or the buddha images? I know they should refer to images but how do we resolve what it is referring to grammatically?
I do not think there is ambiguity here. artisans' is in possessive form. 'They' can not refer to a possessive noun. Only a possessive pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. That leaves us with the Buddha images.
but there are temples as well and they may well refer to temples
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

maihuna wrote:
commit.gmat wrote:
but there are temples as well and they may well refer to temples
In rare sentences, which i do not remember now, which will not refer immediatley to the noun before the comma. In most sentences, like this one, which refers directly to the noun before the comma. "In which" refers to temples, " they" must refer to statues to conform with the intended meaning of the sentence.

However, "In which they were enshrined" looks like a modifier of temples becase we can write the sentence without "in which they were enshrined" and be grammatically correct , but there is no comma before "which". Could someone explain ?

You can search "lunarpower" to see an examples of this. If you do and find the examples, please send me the link.

Thanks in advance

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by moliver » Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

hi!
Question please about this senence:

choice "b" is also correct because of the correct use the idiom expended on ... and on ....
a) can be incorrect because of this?
b) is not // extended on the creation as well as constructing not //
d) and also is redundant, isn't it?
e) here accounted for is correct, isn't it? but is not //???

Thanks!!!

GMAT Score:710

by Pdgmat2010 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

what is the OA here?
E sounds bad as it has a complex gerund ' creating of Buddha images' along with nouns like construction and decoration.. is this technically correct??

B in B , i found 'they' a bit awkward..

other choices are out of scope as they either have a parallelism error or an incorrect modifier..

I saw someone post the question again with a different OA this time!!!!!!

Please clarify!

by moliver » Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

OA B
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

For me, "they" is referring to artisans and "in which" to temples
What do you think Pdgmat2010 ?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by touchstone » Tue May 04, 2010 10:31 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

IMO B is correct. Explanation is as follows.

A expended "for" is incorrect. Correct usage is expended "on". "When" indicates time , so usage of when is incorrect here.

B Correct.. Energy was spent on two things viz creation of Buddha images and construction and decoration of temples. These are parallel here

C as well as idiomatically incorrect. "and" should be used

D. Here it seems that creating images accounted for constructing and decorating temples. Doesn't make sense

E. Here it seems that creating images accounted for constructing and decorating temples. Doesn't make sense

GMAT Score:710

by Pdgmat2010 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:49 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

moliver wrote:OA B
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

For me, "they" is referring to artisans and "in which" to temples
What do you think Pdgmat2010 ?
Hi moliver,
'in which' is correct in this context as it directly comes after the 'temples' and so is a correct modifier.

now looking at all the explanations again, i agree that B is a better choice . At first glance though , 'they' looks bad!!

LOL... thanks for all the help everyone..

by moliver » Tue May 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

thanks for the explanation!

GMAT Score:700

by pharmxanthan » Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

goelmohit2002 wrote:IMO B is correct answer because...

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
creation....constructed...decorated...= non parallel.

B. much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
correct.

C. much of the local artisans� creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
creation...constructing....decoration...= non parallel.

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans� creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans� creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
But in B, we have

was expended on the creation of Buddha images
and
on construction and decoration of the temples

Should there not be "the" before "construction" and "decoration" as in -

was expended on the creation of Buddha images
and
on the construction and the decoration of the temples

by jsche229 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In the correct answer (B), how is the antecedent of "they" artisan's? Artisan's is acting as an adverbial modifier for "Creative Energy." How is this correct?