Actual Score: 510; Target Score: 640+

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Actual Score: 510; Target Score: 640+

by bennett.kwok » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:45 pm
It can be very frustrating that when your actual score was lower than what you expected and what you had during your practice. I scored average 550 on those practice test (Veritas), and my performance on quantitative was obviously better than my verbal. I believe most of the avengers here have experienced the same, I guess.

However, even if I score 550 (my highest was 570), I still can't get into my desired university. I had problems with the verbal section, especially on reading and sentence correction. I had done lots of practices, but, to be honest, I still couldn't find any clue about it. I am not a native English speaker and I have dyslexia, so when it comes to the tormentingly long and tedious passage, my mind just faded away. I understand that I couldn't blame all those on this "disability", so I sincerely hope that if anyone of you can share your experience, or any tips about handling the verbal section.

I am not sure if there is anyone facing the same problem. In case, if there is any, dont worry buddy, you are not the only one, and we can do this. (Hopefully!)

Thank you so much guys, I appreciate it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:02 pm
Hi bennett.kwok,

I'd like to know a bit more about you studies so far:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

If you have a documented medical history detailing your dyslexia, then you might be able to apply for (and receive) special testing accommodations. Under certain circumstance, you might be given what's referred to as "time-and-a-half" on each of the sections of the GMAT (meaning that you would receive 50% more time than you received the last time you took the GMAT). The process that you have to go through to be 'tested' and have your situation 'reviewed' often takes time though (1-2 months) and requires a certain series of expenses (you have to file the paperwork and visit a physician for testing). That might be something to consider as you continue your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:29 pm
Hi bennett.kwok.

While hitting your verbal score target could take some work, it's totally doable. Mostly you just need to get better at seeing what's going on in the questions and answer choices. Generally getting to that point can take a fair amount of slow practice.

For instance, to get more critical reasoning questions right, people often first learn about handling them and then practice by doing many of them, slowly at first and seeking to figure out why every wrong answer choice is wrong and why every right answer choice is right. Over time, one develops an eye for the details that one needs to see and one gets better at noticing the logic of what's going on in the prompts, questions and answer choices.

Via similar processes one can become more effective at handling SC and RC questions as well.

By the way, one word that I have found to be associated with lack of success is the word "frustrating". From what I have seen the more people use that word the less likely they are to succeed. I noticed that today I almost used that word when thinking about something I have been working on. I am glad that I know not to. The word "frustrating" has implications that do not really make sense, and the only thing to do really is to keep at seeking to figure out how to succeed.

Related to that, I have helped many people deal with various types of health issues, and in my experience learning issues can be solved via the use of meditation and other techniques. So you may want to look into what you can do to solve what you have been told is dyslexia. I am certain that you can.

Back to the GMAT itself, what have you done so far to prepare for the verbal section? Let's improve what you are doing so that you get different results.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.