GPREP SC-8

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GPREP SC-8

by abhasjha » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:03 pm
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it return in May after wintering in the Argentina Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the Northeastern US is a result of residential and industrial development and of change in farming practices.

A.the sandpipers vanishing in the Northeastern US is a result of residential and industrial development and of change in

B.the bird itself is vanishing in the Northeastern US is a result of residential and industrial development and of change in

C.that the birds themselves are vanishing in the Northeastern US is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
D. in the Northeastern US,sandpipers' vanishing is due to residential and industrial development and to change in

E.in the Northeastern US,the sandpipers' vanishing,a result of residential and industrial development and changing

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 am
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

A. the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
B. the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
C. that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
D. in the northeastern United States, sandpipers' vanishing is due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
E. in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers' vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing
In A, is (singular) does not agree with the sandpipers (plural).
Eliminate A.

When a sentence begins with Like X, whoever or whatever is similar to X must be the FIRST WORD OF THE MAIN CLAUSE.
Here, what is similar to the grassy fields?
The SANDPIPER.
The grassy fields and the bird are similar in that both are VANISHING.
Eliminate C, D and E, since none of these answer choices features the sandpiper as the first word of the main clause.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:11 members

by abhasjha » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:39 am

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

A. the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
B. the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
C. that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
D. in the northeastern United States, sandpipers' vanishing is due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
E. in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers' vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing
In A, is (singular) does not agree with the sandpipers (plural).
Eliminate A.

When a sentence begins with Like X, whoever or whatever is similar to X must be the FIRST WORD OF THE MAIN CLAUSE.
Here, what is similar to the grassy fields?
The SANDPIPER.
The grassy fields and the bird are similar in that both are VANISHING.
Eliminate C, D and E, since none of these answer choices features the sandpiper as the first word of the main clause.

The correct answer is B.
Dear Mitch,
Based on you comments above,

1- In choice A, if the verb is changed to 'are'? would it be correct?

2- Regardless of other problem in choices D & E, does the place of modifier ' in the northeastern United States' correct? I believe it is confusion as it could belong to either preceding sentence or the later sentence?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:02 pm
Mo2men wrote:1- In choice A, if the verb is changed to 'are'? would it be correct?
Proposed revision:
The sandpipers...are a result of residential and industrial development.
This meaning is nonsensical.
BIRDS cannot be a RESULT.
2- Regardless of other problem in choices D & E, does the place of modifier ' in the northeastern United States' correct? I believe it is confusion as it could belong to either preceding sentence or the later sentence?
This line of reasoning is valid:
In D and E, the referent for in the northeastern United States is unclear.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 am
"like" is used when we want to say the two noun do the same action.
"as" is used when we want to say the two actions are done in the same way.

the only meaning, which can be logical , in this problem is that two nouns both vanish.