I need a guidance /suggestion regarding to fulfill my dream

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm so depressed regarding my current situation. I need a guidance /suggestion regarding how to improve my score to > or = 520. It's been almost 2 years I'm trying to get in near by Grad School but I was not able to succeed due to my GMAT score. I moved to US 2 years ago as a dependent spouse. I did my Master's from India (2013).My 1st attempt (was on April 2014) was a big disaster I scored <300 after preparing for 3 to 4 months & studying 3 to 4 hours a day.For preparation I used only printed materials since I cannot afford $$$ on online classes/tutors.I'm planning to retake (applying for Fall 2016) the test.I need a help to improve score .I'm facing huge problem in both sections
1>my 1st problem is i'm from non math
2>not a native speaker
People who are taking test have advantage of either Verbal or Quant .But for me I'm neither good at Quant nor Verbal.I'm feeling frustrated regarding my situation.

Thanks,
A
Last edited by Akruthi on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:12 pm
Hi Akruthi,

This post is similar to the other message that you posted (and this one includes some extra information, which is helpful).

1) You've defined your score goal (520), which is good. Is that the average GMAT score for the School that you're interested in?
2) What GMAT resources do you currently have?
3) Have you taken any practice CAT Tests recently? How did you score?

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:21 pm
Akruthi, you said that you have used "only printed materials."

I am wondering what materials you have used, the Official Guide? some other guides? Did you use only books, or printed materials that are online?

Also, when you prepare, what do you do?

By the way, getting depressed or frustrated is a complete waste of time. In preparing for the GMAT, as in life in general, if you have yet to succeed, you just have to figure out what you have to do in order to succeed.

Clearly you can succeed.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by Akruthi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:01 pm
I used only OG 2014 and few online videos in YouTube for preparation.My target score is 520.I planning to retake in April/May 2016 .I'm afraid of using new online prep.Since,I had a bad experience regrading them in the past.Can anyone suggest me best online prep.

Thanks,
A.
Last edited by Akruthi on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 am
Hi Akruthi,

There are a variety of different score combinations that will get you a 520+, so you have some flexibility in terms how you could study and what you choose to focus on.

I mentioned it in my prior post, but it bears repeating: most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 pm
One thing that gets you accustomed to GMAT like experiences is doing questions on a computer screen. That's part of why I mentioned using online resources.

One pretty good one is the Veritas Question Bank, from which you could get many more questions. The official guide can only get one so far.

To increase your score, you could look over your practice tests to see what you find challenging and then work on those things topic by topic. Each time you get better at handling a particular type of question your expected score will go up.

You could try Empower GMAT, as Rich mentioned. GMAT Prep Now has lots of videos. You could also use the quant questions here. https://bellcurves.com. To access them, go to the GMAT area and set up a free practice account. Those questions are categorized. So you can use them to do the topic by topic quant work that you need to do to get a higher quant score.

Two aspects of increasing your GMAT score are learning about concepts AND learning to get right answers. So read up on concepts and then learn to use them to get right answers.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by Akruthi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:09 pm
Thanks a lot for the advice.