GMAT Exam Registration Query

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Exam Registration Query

by piyush1512 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 pm
Hi,

I am planning to appear for GMAT in the month of October.
However in the registration process we have a field in which we are required to enter our GPA.
My main concern is related to this as in our university we were graded on a GPA scale of 1 to 10 instead of the percentage or 4.0 scale.
Kindly help advise on how to convert it to an equivalent 4.0 GPA scale as the chart provided does not mention any info on the above scale conversion.

Thanks

Piyush

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:09 am
I wouldn't worry too much about this: a rough estimate is all you need. There are plenty of online tools that can help you with the score conversion: https://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:29 am
Hi piyush1512,

You shouldn't worry too much about filling out that 'field' - Business Schools will look at your transcripts from School to evaluate your GPA, not the number that you enter when scheduling for the GMAT. As such, you can take a reasonable guess (or use an online tool to estimate the conversion).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:17 pm
piyush1512 wrote:Hi,

However in the registration process we have a field in which we are required to enter our GPA.
My main concern is related to this as in our university we were graded on a GPA scale of 1 to 10 instead of the percentage or 4.0 scale.
Kindly help advise on how to convert it to an equivalent 4.0 GPA scale as the chart provided does not mention any info on the above scale conversion.

Thanks

Piyush
Hello,

We offer our own information to help with this conversion. If you have any questions, please let me know.

https://www.mba.com/global/plan-for-busi ... o-gpa.aspx

Thanks,
Jeremy
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:55 am

Thanks

Piyush
We agree that the schools will use your transcripts to evaluate your academics - but we strongly disagree with any advice to "not worry about it." EVERYTHING on your apps matters. You're right to have questions about this. It would be nice if the GMAT didn't ask for a conversion of grades when no other school wants them converted, since it's so easy for mistakes to be made - and it can look really bad if the GMAT score report has a wildly inaccurate GPA listed for an international candidate, which we see all the time.

To imply that that wouldn't matter in an adcom's review is irresponsible. Of course it matters. Everything matters. The adcom will notice it. They may not hold it against a candidate but they will certainly wonder what's up.

We've written about this before:

Reporting your GPA when registering for the GMAT

We also talk about why you don't want to convert your grades when applying to bschool.

@piyush1512, it's a good question, and Jeremy gave you the conversion tool you should use.

@Jeremy, maybe you can raise these concerns with your teams? The GMAT has gotten increasingly test-taker-friendly but this is one point that still causes unnecessary stress and potential for issues.

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:38 am
essaysnark wrote:

Thanks

Piyush
We agree that the schools will use your transcripts to evaluate your academics - but we strongly disagree with any advice to "not worry about it." EVERYTHING on your apps matters. You're right to have questions about this. It would be nice if the GMAT didn't ask for a conversion of grades when no other school wants them converted, since it's so easy for mistakes to be made - and it can look really bad if the GMAT score report has a wildly inaccurate GPA listed for an international candidate, which we see all the time.

To imply that that wouldn't matter in an adcom's review is irresponsible. Of course it matters. Everything matters. The adcom will notice it. They may not hold it against a candidate but they will certainly wonder what's up.

We've written about this before:

Reporting your GPA when registering for the GMAT

We also talk about why you don't want to convert your grades when applying to bschool.

@piyush1512, it's a good question, and Jeremy gave you the conversion tool you should use.

@Jeremy, maybe you can raise these concerns with your teams? The GMAT has gotten increasingly test-taker-friendly but this is one point that still causes unnecessary stress and potential for issues.

EssaySnark
This is great insight. I will definitely inquire about this as we continue to look for more test taker-friendly improvements.

Thank you, and please keep the feedback coming.

Jeremy
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!