How to show leadership skills as a graduate?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi,

I just applied to a consulting firm and plan to apply to a MBA program. On the first one, I got a rejection because I didn't show enough leadership skills in my CV. But honestly, how CAN I show leadership skils as a gradute? I mean for obvious reasons one doesn't have any work experience in which one could have proven one's skills?

Do you have any examples?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:08 am
confused13 wrote:Hi,

I just applied to a consulting firm and plan to apply to a MBA program. On the first one, I got a rejection because I didn't show enough leadership skills in my CV. But honestly, how CAN I show leadership skils as a gradute? I mean for obvious reasons one doesn't have any work experience in which one could have proven one's skills?

Do you have any examples?
Hi,

Leadership doesn't necessarily need to be shown in a corporate environment. Leadership is a trait and is all about leading a team of people to achieve a task successfully despite all the odds. Just dig into your graduate years and think of those group projects, examination times, during your college cultural festival and we are hopeful that you may be able to dig out some stories that exhibits that you were able pull the chips and lead your friends forward.

Just, sit in a quiet room and try to recall key moments during your graduate years and you would hopefully be able to pull out a genuine story.

Wish you the best.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by max_roper » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:03 pm
Hello, confused13. Thank you for the post.

Now that you are a graduate, I believe that it would be beneficial for you to begin building your PROFESSIONAL leadership resume. If you were still a college student, activities involving group projects or college cultural festivals would be appropriate for your resume. However, now that you are a graduate, consulting firms and business schools are looking for you to demonstrate leadership outside of academia.

Below are three examples of groups in which you can develop your professional leadership resume. These organizations recruit, train, and match motivated pre-MBA professionals like yourself with small businesses or nonprofits in need of business planning or strategic development assistance.

1) SCORE
2) Taproot Foundation
3) USA Leadership Corps

As a volunteer business consultant, you will demonstrate great initiative, analytical ability, and communication skill - the essential tools of leadership.

Best of luck to you, confused 13, as you look to develop your professional leadership resume.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:06 pm
You can show leadership in lots of ways as a recent graduate (I'm assuming you just graduated from undergrad?). First, any on campus clubs or groups is a great place to get leadership experience. Being elected president of the student government for example is a great leadership experience. What about volunteer work? Plenty of great charities out there where you could lead a fundraising event or service event.