710 in 2 weeks

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:3 members

710 in 2 weeks

by nhungnguyen147 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:05 am
Hi all,

My first post here (I thought I would never post anything on any forum since I start my career).
I just finished GMAT this Monday 4 August 2014, and got 710 with total 2 weeks studying. I was worried, and was lucky indeed. But I think it's helpful to share my story here, for anyone who has to work more than 10-12 hours/day and is exhausted after work.For me, it was complicated looking at structure of the exam, understanding the scoring system,... Learning GMAT requires an extreme focus which my brain couldn't afford (I was exhausted by working). Every single time I took on a GMAT book, I felt asleep within 5 minutes even it was 8pm, no joking!
And here is my story:

I registered the first time in March 2014 for the exam in May 2014.

I started reviewing by the end of April, for about 1 week, then I gave up.
But this 1 week helped, I did about 40 questions in each sections in Official Guide from GMAT, read through the Sentence Correction book (Manhattan), and practiced the trial period of 7 days in the GMAT by Economist. I strongly recommend the GMAT by Economist, it was effective and interactive, and helped me not to fall asleep.
On the 2nd day, I did the first test in the software downloaded from GMAT website, I got 570.
On the 5th day, I did the test by Economist (at that time, there was a competition by Economist with prize of a scholarship for people with highest score). I got 620.
So I decided that my ability is around 620. People told me from 620 to 700 is a long way. Then, the exam coming, I quickly decided to delay it until August, when I thought I would have time to study.

Time flied and my exam was coming again. I needed 1 day off from work (Friday), then 2 days of the weekends. I told myself that I had to do it. (This kind of talking to yourself really helps). I focused, finished of about 5/6 of all questions in Kaplan book, had another email to register for trial period for Economist GMAT (this time I realized that Economist only give 20% of their tutorial free, I used all that free tutorial in 1.5 days). It boosted my skills on Math with some tips: Ballparking, plug in,..., in Critical Reasoning, in Reading, and in Sentence Correction with "Work order", and some other really helpful tips. On Saturday morning, I did a test of GMAT economist, I got 650. This pointed out that my weakest was Sentence Correction. I went out in the afternoon to relax, and study Sentence Correction in Manhattan in the evening. I woke up early on Sunday and did another test (on the software I downloaded before), got 680. This is the only test that I practiced the AWA and integrate reasoning. Then I stopped, relaxed. I went to the exam on the next day, felt free as I thought I might have to take it again.
Finally, I got 6 in IR (67 percentile), 50 (88 percentile) in Quantitative, 37 (83 percentile) on verbal, overall 710 (98 percentile).

My key messages are:
1. Take a break between some periods of studying.
2. Try the GMAT by Economist, just the free trial is enough.
3. You don't need to keep doing questions, tests, you just needed to do a few,but carefully noted down every mistake you made, remember all mistakes, then your scores keep going up - really quickly.
4. The skills in GMAT are the skills you earned if you really work hard. So some years of experience help. I also read some articles in Economist every week. I strongly recommend regular reading (must be well written journals about various topics).

My background:
I'm a Vietnamese, graduated from an international university in Vietnam, I'm good at math, bad at verbal (I tried IELTS 3 times but only got 6.5-7 for writing).
I've been working for 4 years, my job requires proper written English, and some analyzing skills.
My aim is to apply for MBA in 2016, must need a scholarship as I don't have money to go abroad.
Though I got 710, my writing part may not be good, I only have 1 short sentence in the conclusion, no time for checking :(
I also got 6 for integrate reasoning, I don't know if good schools accept that, I don't know if a good essay save me!
Thank you for reading, I'm quite happy but still worry. I'm willing to discuss if you have any questions :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 am
Hi nhungnguyen147,

Congrats on your score. Hitting 710/Q50 in such a short amount of study time clearly points to your logical thinking and ability to adapt. Most Test Takers need far more time than you took to properly prepare, but regardless of how long someone studies, one of the points you noted is vital to one's improvement:

Carefully note your mistakes, remember them (and fix them so they never happen again) and your scores WILL go up.

With a V37, your Verbal IS strong, so I bet that your essay score will be just fine. Your IR6 is also above average, but most Schools have openly stated that the IR score is NOT a factor in the application process.

You've done well. Now you have to make sure to bring that same logic and attention-to-detail to your applications.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Followed by:3 members

by nhungnguyen147 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:06 am
Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your opinion on my performance. I just received my writing score at 4.5. I now will focus on selecting program and my career development for the next 2 years.

by williamou » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:23 am
Hi nhungnguyen147,

thank you for your post.
It was quite inspiring to me.

I have been sleeping from 4-6 hours for the last 7 years and working long hours, like you do, so getting the time to study is really complicated.

I had taken the Economist simulation test cold and got a 640... and had decided to go for the actual test like that... but then I saw your post.

Spent 2 weeks studying about 1/hour a day and tried to sleep more. Kept your post in my mobile browser and checked it once in a while for motivation.

Took the GMAT yesterday also got a 710. :)

Thanks and good luck.

William

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by andymal » Wed May 13, 2015 7:19 am
Hey, I know it's been a while since you posted, but I'm curious how you got over the tiredness that was such a big problem for you initially: " Every single time I took on a GMAT book, I felt asleep within 5 minutes even it was 8pm, no joking!"

I know that the Economist was more engaging for you and that helped, but was there anything you did to get over your tiredness.

Sometimes I get pretty tired by the time I get to verbal. Thanks!