Profile Evaluation: Indian Male, Education Sector

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I would like a profile evaluation. Following is my profile:

Background:
Education: Graduated from a non-IIT college in India with a GPA of 3.4 in 2012 in Computer Science Engineering
GMAT: 710
TOEFL iBT: 117/120

WORK EXPERIENCE:
36 months before completion of under-graduation in education sector with a start-up which has been recognized globally by Dell, IIMs, Ivy League college - UPenn. Continued the work with the same start-up for 2 years more after graduation. Co-founder and COO at the start-up.

Work Related Achievements from June 2012 - Present:

"¢ Conducted a pan India competition which saw participation from 100+ cities and 20,000+ students.

"¢ Successfully established the entire North India division for the start-up. The responsibilities included from HR, Operations, Marketing to actually working on the field.

"¢Initiated and developed a program to improve data driven decisions for students.

AWARDS and EXTRACURRICULAR INFORMATION:
"¢ Student Council Treasurer-Organized the College technical and cultural festival with a footfall of 5000 people and a budget of INR 5 million combined
"¢ Led the start-up to win at an international competition organized by Dell.
"¢ Internship of 2 months in Europe in IT.
"¢ Keyboard player just for relaxation.

OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION:
"¢Languages known: English, Hindi, Punjabi, French (Basic)

My goal is to come back to India after graduation and expand my start-up business and help diversify in the education field itself.
I wish to apply this year to top tier schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg and MIT Sloan.

Should I still consider these as stretch schools as I might fall short of work experience. What else can I do to better my chances?

Thanks in advance for all the help.[/list]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 pm
tomboy198789 wrote:Hi,

Background:
Education: Graduated from a non-IIT college in India with a GPA of 3.4 in 2012 in Computer Science Engineering

<<snip>>

Should I still consider these as stretch schools as I might fall short of work experience. What else can I do to better my chances?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Dear tomboy198789,
Consider the following points:
  1. Your startup experience will definitely be considered favorably by most schools. With strong brands backing it up (assuming you can get at least one reco from one of these), you should be covered in terms of credibility. The pre-undergrad experience though useful, is likely to be considered as an internship though
  2. The school list you have there is super aggressive. With a less than stellar GMAT and a low work-ex, you are already straddled with a few handicaps. From that perspective, you would do well to hedge your risks a bit by applying to a few more schools OR waiting a year or two.
  3. Though the rationale for MBA is sound at a high level, it will serve you will to know a few level of details as to how an MBA will help you do things differently than the way you do now. This will also enable you to write the right set of essays and convey your thoughts strongly to the adcom
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
MG
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 30, 2014 9:57 am
Hi there,

I agree with most of Manish's points so I won't rehash too much. You should probably retake the GMAT. Not coming from an IIT means the rest of your profile needs to be stellar. You converted your GPA but I'd be interested to know what the raw score was. If that was 1st class, 1st w/ distinction, etc. Also, what school DID you go to?

Also, your list is absolutely uber aggressive. I really like your entrepreneurial experiences too but...

That leads to my third point - why go for an MBA now? It seems the business is going really well and you're expanding rapidly. Why would you take 2 years off in the growth stage as COO to get your MBA? Why not leave in a year? Or two? I'm asking those questions and you can bet the adcom will be too. Getting an MBA as a proven entrepreneur makes a lot of sense, but the timing raises some questions.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 am
Hi,

Your profile looks balanced and decent with strong work ex and decent GMAT score, congratulations for cracking 700 mark!!I believe that you are at right stage of your career, most of the applicants will be in the range of 3-7 years. List of B-Schools look little ambitious for me so you can consider few more schools from top 20 range where you have realistic chances. Start early and focus on application essays/recommendations. Retake GMAT unless you are confident of scoring 740+ otherwise there is no point in investing more time for GMAT. Dedicate more time on building quality essays. You can also try your chances for top B-Schools by visiting here https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bs ... sbMAYtZZu7

Regards,
www.general-ed.com
tomboy198789 wrote:Hi,

Background:

WORK EXPERIENCE:
36 months before completion of under-graduation in education sector with a start-up which has been recognized globally by Dell, IIMs, Ivy League college - UPenn. Continued the work with the same start-up for 2 years more after graduation. Co-founder and COO at the start-up.

Work Related Achievements from June 2012 - Present:

"¢ Conducted a pan India competition which saw participation from 100+ cities and 20,000+ students.

"¢ Successfully established the entire North India division for the start-up. The responsibilities included from HR, Operations, Marketing to actually working on the field.

"¢Initiated and developed a program to improve data driven decisions for students.

AWARDS and EXTRACURRICULAR INFORMATION:
"¢ Student Council Treasurer-Organized the College technical and cultural festival with a footfall of 5000 people and a budget of INR 5 million combined
"¢ Led the start-up to win at an international competition organized by Dell.
"¢ Internship of 2 months in Europe in IT.
"¢ Keyboard player just for relaxation.

OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION:
"¢Languages known: English, Hindi, Punjabi, French (Basic)

My goal is to come back to India after graduation and expand my start-up business and help diversify in the education field itself.
I wish to apply this year to top tier schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg and MIT Sloan.

Thanks in advance for all the help.[/list]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:53 am
I agree about retaking the GMAT given the selectivity of your target schools. I am assuming your school is a non-IIT equivalent to in that you did not graduate from say a BITS Pilani. So, coming from a non-Tier 1 with a lower than average GMAT score for an Indian applicant, you need to diversify your options.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.