Found throughout Central and South America

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Found throughout Central and South America

by ektamatta » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:56 pm
18. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.
(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

by sibbineni » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm
IMO D

d

by ektamatta » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 pm
please explain ...OA is D

Legendary Member

by reachac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:01 pm
IMO D

First of all the part which is not underlined contains 'it'...an indication that we shud use singular 'sloth' and not plural 'sloths'

Second between E and D, D uses the correct idiom "so X that Y" ..infrequent;y enough in E is awkward

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:15 am
so infrequently that

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

the sloth/sloths

by sg7007 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 pm
I understand the answer should be singular, "the sloth" because of "its."

But, why is it "the sloth" as opposed to "sloths"? Obviously, the author of this sentence doesn't refer to a partucular sloth; he refers to sloths in general. Then, doesn't it have to be "sloths"?

Re: the sloth/sloths

by enniguy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm
sg7007 wrote:I understand the answer should be singular, "the sloth" because of "its."

But, why is it "the sloth" as opposed to "sloths"? Obviously, the author of this sentence doesn't refer to a partucular sloth; he refers to sloths in general. Then, doesn't it have to be "sloths"?
I think the statement refers to the sloth community. It is one individual community. Since, the community is being referred to as a whole, it acts singular.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

still don't understand the answer

by elemat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 pm
I get that "sloth" should be singular: so the answer is between D & E. But isn't D an incorrect answer because the actions the sloth performs are not in parallel form.

"the sloth hangs..., sleeping ... and moving so infreq...". Shouldn't it be something like this instead: the sloth hangs, sleeps... and moves ...?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by biker317 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:20 pm
i have the same question as elemat..anyone care to clarify?

thanks!

by hrishi19884 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:52 am
elemat wrote:I get that "sloth" should be singular: so the answer is between D & E. But isn't D an incorrect answer because the actions the sloth performs are not in parallel form.

"the sloth hangs..., sleeping ... and moving so infreq...". Shouldn't it be something like this instead: the sloth hangs, sleeps... and moves ...?

This is what the first thing that came in my mind "parallelism". But later on I realized that the first priority should be for the below things :

The reason that I can choose D is because of two things :

1) " so infrequently that" ...it basically provides reason for algae growth on its coat.

2) "between its toes"(in the original question) indicates that the sentence is talking about single animal(sloth). If it was "between their toes" , it would have been plural and then we would have used "sloths".

This eliminates A,B,C ...left are D and E. As said in 1) above "so infrequently that" is the correct combiner. which is there in D.

But still as indicated by "elemat" and "biker317" parallelism is still a problem here. But do we have any other options left.
From D and E , parallelism problem occurs in both. So why not choose D(given the above reasons).

I may be wrong, I think instructors would throw more light on this one. Ron, Stacey, can anybody please help?
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Sampits » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:09 am
Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem?

Why not D? The parallelism is correct...

I would appreciate some light on this.

Thanks in advance

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 am
sloth should be singular because of "its coat" and "its toes.

Correct Idiom: so + ... + that
Idiom "Enough that" has less preference. Correct idiom is "enough to".

sleeping and moving are modifiers (comma + ing setup) and are parallel in D.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:22 am
in D, in the statement "the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs",
"long rubbery limbs" refers to trees or sloth? Is the sentence clear on that?

by wayofjungle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:40 am
hrishi19884 wrote:
elemat wrote: But still as indicated by "elemat" and "biker317" parallelism is still a problem here. But do we have any other options left.
From D and E , parallelism problem occurs in both. So why not choose D(given the above reasons).[/color]
The parallelism error is more visible in option E, which inserts the pronoun 'it' in the third part of the series. However, on closer inspection there is no parallelism error in D because "sleeping 15 hours a day and moving so infrequently" is acting as an adverbial modifier.

by wayofjungle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 am
kvcpk wrote:in D, in the statement "the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs",
"long rubbery limbs" refers to trees or sloth? Is the sentence clear on that?
Yes because of pronoun agreement in number. 'Its' is a singular pronoun therefore it must agree with 'the sloth' and not 'trees'.