How many cars had auto transmission but not anti lock brakes

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I came across this question in GMAT Prep

Question: Of the 25 cars sold yesterday, some had automatic transmission & some had anti lock brakes .How many cars had automatic transmission but not anti lock brakes?
(1)All of the cars that had antilock brakes also had automatic transmission.
(2) 2 of the cars had neither automatic transmission nor antilock brakes.
Answer: E

Can somebody pls explain how the answer is derived? Btw this type of question falls in which range like 300-500/600-700?

As I understand the question, we need to specifically find the no. of cars.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:45 am
sbhawal wrote:I came across this question in GMAT Prep

Question: Of the 25 cars sold yesterday, some had automatic transmission & some had anti lock brakes .How many cars had automatic transmission but not anti lock brakes?
(1)All of the cars that had antilock brakes also had automatic transmission.
(2) 2 of the cars had neither automatic transmission nor antilock brakes.
Answer: E

Can somebody pls explain how the answer is derived? Btw this type of question falls in which range like 300-500/600-700?

As I understand the question, we need to specifically find the no. of cars.
It's a Group Problem, and the question is about the difference in one of the two groups and 'Both' in the following Group Formula

Total = Group 1 + Group 2 - Both + Neither

In the stem, Total is 25 but nothing is mentioned about the group sizes. Let's examine the statements:

(1) This means that there is a nonzero number for 'Both' in the formula, but what's that; we don't know. Insufficient, hence eliminate AD and rely on BCE.

(2) This gives us the value of 'Neither' in our formula only. Insufficient, hence eliminate B and rely on CE.

When taken together, we get nothing from St (1) and just one thing from the St (2) only. How'd it help when we are still short of 3 of the four missing info in the stem.

[spoiler]Hence E[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com