PhD in Operations Management or Quantitative Analysis

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620
Hello ... I am Lebanese (Middle East) and I am seeking a PhD degree from the US. I have the following scores:
GMAT (1st time): 600
GMAT (2nd time): 620 (44 quantitative, 31 verbal, 6 writing)
GPA: 3.92
Undergraduate major: Computer Engineering
Undegraduate University: Lebanese American University in Lebanon

I also have an MBA degree from LAU. I am a female. I have been a graduate research assistant for the past 5 years. I am seeking a phd degree in Operations management or quantitative analysis.

What are my chances of getting into the following universities: cincinnatti, chicago, washington, purdue, florida state, carnegie mellon???? I do not have time to sit for the GMAT again. What other university names can you offer me?

THANKS!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 am
Dear Undecided,

Thanks for your post!

Before I offer my thoughts, I should state that Clear Admit's expertise is really focused around MBA admissions and we are not typically called upon to offer advice to PhD applicants. As such, you may want to post your question in the general "Ask an Admissions Consultant" part of this forum and see what others have to say.

In terms of your profile, my basic understanding of the PhD admissions process suggests that you will need a better GMAT score to get into the top programs on your list. As you know, PhD admissions is typically more focused on academics than the MBA side of the coin - hence elements like GPA and GMAT/GRE come into play more heavily. I can say that your status as a female Lebanese national and your solid performance in ugrad will absolutely help your chances of admission - as you will be highly unique in the applicant pool. One minor concern - beyond the GMAT - is the fact that you are a bit older than the average PhD applicant. Given that the degree can take several years to complete in the US, the adcom may need to be assured that you will stick with it (as older applicants are often more likely to drift off into other opportunities or family obligations, etc).

In terms of which programs are strong in the areas of operations management and/or quantitative analysis, CMU, Purdue and Chicago would all be strong choices. I wouldn't rule out Wharton either - assuming you can get your scores up substantially.

Once again, you may want to post your question to the larger forum and see what sort of advice you get. I wish you the best of luck with your applications!

Regards,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by undecided » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 pm
[quote="Graham"]
elements like GPA and GMAT/GRE come into play more heavily.

I wouldn't rule out Wharton either - assuming you can get your scores up substantially.

Once again, you may want to post your question to the larger forum and see what sort of advice you get. I wish you the best of luck with your applications!

Regards,

Graham[/quote]

Thanks Graham for the reply. I did in fact post my question to the larger forum (still waiting for some replies). But if you believe that my 620 GMAT score will substantially decrease my chances of getting into one of the schools I applied to, then why are you telling me to apply to Wharton? It is a top Bschool too.

Considering that my GMAT score remained 620 and taking into consideration my nationality, undergrad performance and gender, do you still believe I have chance to get inot one of these: Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, Washington, Toronto or Purdue?

Thanks again!