670 (Q48,V35): did not exactly beat the GMAT :)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:670
Hello all

I just got back from the test center and got a 670(V48,V35). I was hoping to get a 700+, but will take this! I was yet another victim to the misconception that not getting probability, perm/comb questions will give you a low quants score. I freaked out because of this and screwed up my verbal.

Over the last few months, I have used this site extensively and hence apart from thanking you all for all the help, I would also like to offer my help to anyone, who needs it.

Preparation:

I spent about three months preparing for the GMAT and used OG13 and the additional questions from GMAT prep (can be bought at MBA.com). All I kept doing was to work on problems and the review the errors. You can find a lot of good articles on this site for any given topic and if you don't, just ask in the appropriate forum and you can find the answer. I cannot stress on how much revisiting the questions answered wrongly helps!! During the last three weeks, I bought the 6 MGMAT tests and kept taking them. this helped me with, not only the stamina, but also exposed me to a variety of questions. I spent about 1 hour/day for my prep, but also missed studying a lot of days, as I was in the process of moving to Chicago with a three year old.

Test day:

I arrived early and started early, as there was a slot available. The essay was an easy one and I took 24 minutes to finish it. If there was one thing, I learnt during my practice tests, it was taking the essay writing seriously. Trust me, if you take the time and write the essay, it is very soothing. It refreshes your mind enough to breeze through the IR section. The IR was not too bad, but will know when the official scores arrive! I took a break for the whole 8 minutes and had a banana and some cold black coffee, that I kept in the locker. If you are a caffeine freak, make sure you have some handy :). The quants section was going fine and I was keeping up well, until I started freaking out about not seeing any probability of perm/comb questions. It is a misconception that for a decently high Q score, you need to see prob and perm/comb questions. I completed the section with 1 minute to go and took the second break. I was shaken because of the quants experience, so I was subconsciously speeding through the verbal section to see my final score. If there was one thing that I wish I could have done differently, it would be to retake the verbal section without thinking about the quants section. Finally, when I got done and saw the 670, I was happy/pissed. Walked out grabbed some lunch and here I am writing this post. I might have missed something here, so please feel free to let me know, if you want to know about some other aspects.

Good luck with your prep

Vijay

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:670

by vijayitw » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:16 pm
Also, I am planning to apply to the Kellogg and Booth PT programs. I am a mech engg. with 8 years of experience, so would appreciate, if anyone has any tips with the admission process.

V