I didn't beat it but I gave a damn good fight! (680)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi All,

Today I kicked a bit the gmat and I scored 680... a bit above of what I expected.

But now I have a doubt... I would like to apply to one of the following schools:
Judge School (Cambridge)
London Business School
Oxford Said
Imperial College Business School
Cass Business School

but I wonder if this score is good enough to get me in there.

I consider myself quite a bright guy (and modest... please believe me), but I haven't done incredible things in my professional life like saving million of dollars... or whatever. My idea is to do an MBA and then apply it to the non-profit sector and at the moment I'm working in the IT industry developing software.

Anyway, any thought about this?? Suggestions? or should I give it another try?

Thanks a lot,
Augusto

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:31 am
Also, mention your path way to 680 !

Congrats and all the best !!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by augusto » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:18 am
Mmm it was quite chaotic.

In total I studied for 3 and a half months. Two months after I started, I had to stop for two months, and then I studied for another 6 weeks (so in total 3 and a 1/2 months).

I studied 100% on my own (of course with the help of this forum :D) and used the following books:

PR - Crack the gmat 2008 (not good at all, but GREAT to start with)
Sentence correct bible (a must)
Critical reason bible (a must)
MGMAT Sentence correction (a must)
Kaplan Verbal workbook (not too bad)
OG, all of them (a must)

And wasted my money in Kaplan Premier Programme 2008 and Kaplan 800. I think these books, the CD included and the online resources are rubbish because they repeat the same questions EVERYWHERE, so it's not very handy.

I also used tons of resources I found on the net, such as 1000 SC, 1000 CR and other crappy resources, which, I think, helped me to realize how difficult is to get proper, challenging questions (this forum was great for this).

I did the following tests:
1 PR - Paper
4 PR - Online (on the 1st round of study)
1 mgmat online
1 Kaplan - online

I know it might be funny, but I never did the GMAT Prep tests, because I wanted to leave them to the end, but in the end I didn't have enough time.

One important thing is that in my practice I found two "clusters" of wrong answers, when I started a practice session I would get around 2 questions wrong, and when my energy level fell I would get (usually) between 3 and 5 questions wrong.

Another interesting details is that my hand writing is quite small and the first few minutes of the quant section were a bit difficult for me because I could understand my own handwriting. For those who don't know, you'll get a pen from the test centre, but this pen has quite a wide trace.

A bit about my background, I'm Argentinian and I have a degree in computer engineer, so I'm quite good at math, and I SUCK at languages.

During the test, it was quite difficult for me to keep the energy level, and at the end I was just clicking on the screen and hoping I chose the correct answer.

My final score was Q47(79%) V35(74%), total 680 (86%)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
augusto wrote:Hi All,

Today I kicked a bit the gmat and I scored 680... a bit above of what I expected.

But now I have a doubt... I would like to apply to one of the following schools:
Judge School (Cambridge)
London Business School
Oxford Said
Imperial College Business School
Cass Business School

but I wonder if this score is good enough to get me in there.

I consider myself quite a bright guy (and modest... please believe me), but I haven't done incredible things in my professional life like saving million of dollars... or whatever. My idea is to do an MBA and then apply it to the non-profit sector and at the moment I'm working in the IT industry developing software.

Anyway, any thought about this?? Suggestions? or should I give it another try?

Thanks a lot,
Augusto
680 is not a bad score. Do you want to apply only one of the five schools you mentioned or going to apply for all of them?
I they are within the reach.
All the best!!