Prephrasing - Help Please

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Prephrasing - Help Please

by ChrisFic » Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 am
Hello,

I am looking to take my CR to the next level and have figured out that I am rather unskilled at prephrasing. I believe this is a very critical (see what I did there?) step in the majority of CR questions - active test taker > passive test taker.

BTG community - do you know of any good guidelines or tips that I can follow when trying to prephrase? I know that regardless of the advice I need to practice practice and I am more than willing to put in the time. Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sparkles3144 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 am
Did you try Manhattan CR book?
I read and it helped me sooo much!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ChrisFic » Wed May 29, 2013 10:15 am
I have the Power Score CR Bible which I find to be great but no where that I've looked has a general guideline on successfully prephrasing CR questions. Does MGMAT go into detail at all or is it just a good book?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sparkles3144 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 am
Well.. It gives detailed suggestions about how to read...
Really good book.
In my opinion that book helps you understand how to approach CR, understand them and lots of pratice.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:28 pm
I don't use the term prephrasing. I do not use the term predict either. Instead I say that you have to create an idea of what the correct answer must do or say.

It is actually pretty simple to do this. Once you have identified the conclusion you look to see what portion of the argument provides the essential evidence. Once you have put together the evidence and the conclusion you automatically know what the conclusion must do.

Here is an article that discusses how to do this for the strengthen question type.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/02/ ... duncan-way
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course