all states face similar industrial waste problems

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
while all states face similar industrial waste problems,the predominating industries and the regulatory environment of the states obviously determines the types and amounts of waste produced, as well as the cost of disposal.

A) all states face similar industrial waste problems,the predominating industries and the regulatory environment of the states obviously determines

B) each state faces a similar industrial waste problem,their predominant industries and regulatory environment obviously determine

C) all states face a similar industrial waste problem;their predominating industries and regulatory environment obviously determines

D) each state faces a similar industrial waste problems, the predominant industries and the regulatory environment of each state obviously determines

E) all states face similar industrial waste problems, the predominant industries and the regulatory environment of each state obviously determine.

OAE

My doubt: In OA,ALL and EACH are workable in one sentence?

Please explain.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm
j_shreyans wrote:While all states face similar industrial waste problems, the predominating industries and the regulatory environment of the states obviously determines the types and amounts of waste produced, as well as the cost of disposal.

A. all states face similar industrial waste problems, the predominating industries and the regulatory environment of the states obviously determines
B. each state faces a similar industrial waste problem, their predominant industries and regulatory environment obviously determine
C. all states face a similar industrial waste problem; their predominating industries and regulatory environment obviously determines
D. each state faces similar industrial waste problem, the predominant industries and the regulatory environment of each state obviously determines
E. all states face similar industrial waste problems, the predominant industries and the regulatory environment of each state obviously determine
In A, C and D, determines (singular) does not agree with predominating industries and regulatory environment (plural).
Eliminate A, C and D.

In B, their (plural) does not agree with each state (singular).
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is E.
My doubt: In OA, ALL and EACH are workable in one sentence?
Yes.
ALL STATES face similar problems.
Here, the usage of all is appropriate because the states AS A GROUP all face similar problems.
The predominant industries and the regulatory environment of each state obviously determine the types and amounts of waste produced.
Here, the usage of each is appropriate because each state has ITS OWN predominant industries and regulatory environment that determine the types of waste produced in THAT STATE.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by j_shreyans » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 pm
Hi GMATguru,

Thanks for the explanation, can you please give me some more example where we can use ALL and EACH in one sentence.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:55 am
j_shreyans wrote:Hi GMATguru,

Thanks for the explanation, can you please give me some more example where we can use ALL and EACH in one sentence.

Thanks
For another OA with both all and each, check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/in-a-state-o ... 78633.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3