Awkward: Part of Speech

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Awkward: Part of Speech

by imskpwr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:18 pm
OG 13 Q 134:
"Recently implemented ""shift-work equations"" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries."

Suddenly a thought came in my mind while reading this OG problem correct answer.
Which part of speech is "while" here. It has to be a Conjunction and not a Preposition.

So how can "raising" will go with "have reduced" verb?

Generally, we say

I am doing X while eating.
it means,
I am doing X while I am eating.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:43 am
imskpwr wrote:OG 13 Q 134:
"Recently implemented ""shift-work equations"" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries."

Suddenly a thought came in my mind while reading this OG problem correct answer.
Which part of speech is "while" here. It has to be a Conjunction and not a Preposition.

Generally, we say

it means,
while + VERbing is an example of a VERBLESS clause: a dependent clause in which the subject and verb are omitted.
Generally, the implied verb will be in the SAME TENSE as the verb in the main clause.

John ate dinner while watching TV.
Conveyed meaning:
John ate dinner while {he was} watching TV.

Every night, John eats dinner while watching TV.
Conveyed meaning:
Every night, John eats dinner while [he is] watching TV.

SC134 in the OG13:
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" have reduced sickness while raising production efficiency.
Conveyed meaning:
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" have reduced sickness while [they have been] raising production efficiency.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:35 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote:OG 13 Q 134:

Generally, we say

it means,
while + VERbing is an example of a VERBLESS clause: a dependent clause in which the subject and verb are omitted.
Generally, the implied verb will be in the SAME TENSE as the verb in the main clause.

John ate dinner while watching TV.
Conveyed meaning:
John ate dinner while {he was} watching TV.

Every night, John eats dinner while watching TV.
Conveyed meaning:
Every night, John eats dinner while [he is] watching TV.

SC134 in the OG13:
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" have reduced sickness while raising production efficiency.
Conveyed meaning:
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" have reduced sickness while [they have been] raising production efficiency.
Great work !
Your explanations are always precise and to the point, keeping the irrelevant part aside.
One of the best instructor available to us.
Thanks sir for this prompt reply.