Help needed with an unusual, mixed application.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I recognize that my application will be a mixed bag and probably not very common. Personally, I have no doubt that I will be able to successfully complete any program I get into (even if I am working full-time), but finishing with a high GPA is another matter.

Based upon my practice scores, I assumed that my GMAT scores would be good and had them sent them to the MBA programs at Harvard, Yale and Stanford, as well as UCLA's FEMBA program.

My problems are:
1) I don't know what caliber of program I should be targeting
2) I don't have any idea about the best way to present my case
3) I don't know if I should rush to make the R2 deadline, apply for R3 or wait and apply for R1 next year

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

GMAT:
770 (Q50/V46), 6 AWA

Academics:
JD from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (2.49 GPA) - completed while working full time (2008), one elective course failed
PhD (and MS) Mathematics from UC Irvine (3.79 GPA) - interrupted for two years for work then completed while working full time (2004)
Mathematics BS Cal Poly Pomona (2.52 GPA) - completed 15 years ago; mixed results

Work Experience:
6 years working on the business/IT side of major motion picture studios from Senior Analyst to Executive Director.
2 years as Chief Technical Officer for a .com

Letters of Recommendation:
VP / Immediate Supervisor
Former Sr. VP, currently CIO with a mid-sized company

Interviews:
I haven't had any, but they should go well if offered

by victorX » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am
Seriously, I could use some help :)

by victorX » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:53 pm
Is there someplace else that I should be posting?

Any suggestions as to where I can find help?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm
Hi VictorX,

I'll see what advice I can provide for you...

It seems your strengths are your outstanding GMAT score (the 770 was your final/actual score or practice? I wasn't quite clear on that), extensive academic and work experiences, strong PhD/MS GPA. Weaknesses: your other GPAs. Biggest challenge: laying out your case for why b-school.

With such an extensive and varied background, the first thing that comes to mind is, why does he want an MBA?? In applying to b-school, much more so than when you applied for the JD or PhD, you really need to have a clear and compelling case for why you want the MBA, and what your career goals are after the MBA. Likely most of the admissions decision will come down to that story, and to your personal factors and quality of essays, recommendations, interview.

As for timing, you may have missed R2 at this point...as for R3 versus next year, it really depends upon how much time/effort/$$ you'd like to put in at this point in time. R3 is more difficult, yes, because many seats have already been taken. Not impossible, but a bit more challenging. However, some would say there is nothing to lose by trying, except again for the effort, time and cost...you could always re-apply next year. So think about what makes most sense for you.

And as for what programs, you'll again need to think about what makes sense for you. Based on your goals, for example, some programs have strengths in particular areas. What location or area of the world are you interested in working/living/studying? Do you want a larger or smaller student body? Any certain student culture or learning experiences you'd like to incorporate? There is a lot of research involved.

Good luck to you!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member