MIT MBA vs. LGO

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MIT MBA vs. LGO

by edsuareza » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 am
Hi.

I'd like your view of comparing the traditional MIT MBA and LGO. I work for large manufacturing company so the LGO is very attractive, however, looking into the future, I'd like to make a spin in my career and build something of my own, to the MBA's E&I track sounds quite attractive.

That said, the fact LGO is sponsored just makes it a sweet deal.

Appreciate your feedback.

E

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 am
Sponsorship is a pretty nice thing. What you will miss out on is the size of your network. You have to decide what is important...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 pm
Hi Edsuareza,

What I would recommend is thinking about where you want to be in 10 years. The designation of this degree will have impacts on your career long after you've graduated. If you wish to stay in Manufacturing and that's where your heart is set, then LGO could be a very attractive option (yes, sponsorship IS nice). However, if you would like to take on a more general approach to business or utilize this as an opportunity to switch careers, a general MBA will be far better suited to enable those goals.

Some people use an MBA to shift and re-align at a higher altitude with business (e.g. I have been on a plant floor for my entire career, I want to learn about financial analysis and marketing so I fully understand business) while others to further focus (e.g. I have done a little bit of a lot of things in Healthcare and I LOVE it, I want to focus there). Make sure you're viewing this as the long term decision it really is.

As Jim mentioned your network will be smaller too, but either way you will have MIT on your resume - which is going to be a great thing!

Good luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ntan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am
I'm a current LGO student (class of 2014) and just wanted a point out a few things:

LGO is a full part of the MBA class. We take the same classes, including the core, participate in clubs, trips, etc. LGO is a sub-network within Sloan--not much different than the networks that form out of E&I or other tracks, cultural groups, clubs etc. As an LGO, you are as much a part of the MBA community and MBA network as anyone else, with an additional LGO network that is smaller but very strong. There are a few exceptions (participating in the tracks such as E&I is one of them, internship recruiting is another), but as an LGO you have the same resources and opportunities as anyone else at Sloan.

Besides that, my advice, like what others said, is to look at what you want to do. LGO really prepares you for a manufacturing/operations leadership role, particularly right out of school. Entrepreneurship is certainly not out of the question--I have classmates currently working on start up projects, particularly those that came out of some project-based entrepreneurship classes. And at least two of this year's LGO grads are going on to work on a medical device start-up they co-founded. But LGO is a lot of additional work--extra engineering classes and specific LGO requirements (seminars, plant trek, etc). This could make it difficult (though not impossible--its all about priorities) to work on start up stuff while at school if that is your true priority. If you are not interested in learning more about operations, these extra requirements will become very cumbersome. But there is still a good amount of flexibility on how you structure your MBA curriculum, so you will still have opportunities to take entrepreneurship related classes--and many, if not most, of us do.

Here's what you can and can't do with LGO and entrepreneurship:
+ Can take entrepreneurship classes (in fact, LGOs can start taking MBA electives during the core, you get a bit of a head start--I had the opportunity to take the Energy Ventures class in the fall, which first year MBAs cannot take)
+ Work on start ups on your free time
+ Participate in the 100K, Clean Energy Prize, etc.
+ Can work for/found a start-up after graduation

- Can't participate in the E&I track--which I think only means not being able to take the E&I seminar in your first fall, the tracks do not give you any priority in other class selections
- Can't intern at a start up company
- I think you will likely miss the big Silicon Valley trek, which happens in January, because it conflicts with LGO's Plant Trek
- You miss a semester on campus for your 6-month internship