Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate urgently

by hassan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:43 pm
Hi,
my profile:

Turkish/male/28 years

Bachelors of Science: Industrial Engineering at Middle East Technical University (Top 5 schools in Turkey) GPA: 3.5 /Top 5%
Master of Science in Automotive Engineering: GPA 3.1/ Ranked 1st among
graduates- Hard program :)

Work Exp: I have worked in a subsidary of Ford Motor Company in Turkey for 5 years.
My positions:
1,5 years of Executive Asistant to Plant Manager- Manufacturing Experience
2 years of Manufacturing (Financial) Controller - First team leader experince & Finance
1 year of experince Business Strategy Office - 2nd team leader experince
Recently started Internal Control of After Sales and Engineering Functions
(Pls note that during 5 years, I have completed my cumpolsory military service, that's why it makes four and half, not five)

Awards:
Ranked 13. in unversity entarance examination
I think I will write some charity functions here.

Extra Curriculars:
- Basketball
- Cars - I am fond of cars
- Charity Functions

Score Point:
GMAT Verbal: 42 / 95%
Quantitavie 49 / 88%
Overall 740 / 97%
AWA 4.5 / 42%
Although, I am not a native speaker, I did not take TOEFL. Franky, I did not have time to prepare and enter it, it is already time for round 2 applications.

Target School:
HBS, Wharton (dream school), Tepper, INSEAD, Sloan, Colombia

Questions:
1- Although, my GMAT verbal and quantitaive scores are good, AWA is not thrilling. I believe the reason is that, in the exam, I could not manage time and I could not do proofreading. I am wondering whether this score will be a problem for me?
I do not have TOEFL score to illustrate that I had a good score in writing section in it.
In one of the forms, somebody suggested to retake the GMAT, but just focus on writing. (Maybe, not even answer Q/V questions right)
Once I got a higher score, (I believe that I can) write this in the esaay.
Admission committee will regard the highest score.
Do you agree with this approach?
2- I did not take TOEFL. I am counting on the business school's admission criteria.
It says that applicants, graduated from a university at which all lectures are thought in English, are exempted from TOEFL.
Do you think that this would be a disadvantage for me?
3- I just recently started to work on the essays. Do you have hints to accelerate this process?
4- Could you please evalutate my application overall?
5- Do you advise to apply to other schools as well?
I am very open to suggestions.

Your help will be highly appreciated.
many thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:42 pm
Hassan,

Thanks for your post. You clearly have an impressive background. Your strong academics and solid work experience at Ford will provide the right raw materials to be a competitive candidate at top schools. I am especially impressed with your 740 GMAT. I am not worried about your AWA score.

So, the next step is to work on your message. What are your career goals? Why are you seeking an MBA?

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hassan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:49 am
Elliot,

Thank you for reply.
The real reason for MBA is rapid improvement in my career.
I like the job I am doing and I like automative sector. (it is sad that the sector is in bad conditon.)

I have two specific question.
1- I did not take TOEFL. It says the criteria that applicants who graduated from a school all lectures are given in Enlish are exempted. Do you think that is a disadvantage and do you know applicanst who are admiitted in similar condition.
2- I am thinking to continue in finance in manufacturing companies. Which schools do you suggest?

THANKS

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:38 pm
Hassan,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, so your goal is to move up in a finance role at an auto manufacturing company. This makes a lot of sense given your existing work experience at Ford.

To answer your questions:

1) As long as you meet the conditions for not taking the TOEFL, then there is no reason to take it. Meaning, your GMAT score is high enough that there is no additional strategic benefit to taking the TOEFL.

2) Given your strong academics, your solid (and varied) work experience at Ford, and your auto sector career goals, I think that you will be competitive at top 5-top 10 schools. MIT Sloan would be a great fit for you. I also think that you would have a decent chance at schools like Wharton and possibly HBS. You might consider schools like Chicago and Michigan.

Of course, a lot will depend on how you convey your message in your application. I would be happy to schedule a free initial phone consultation to help you refine your strategy. Feel free to email me to set up a time to speak.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.