Apply R2 or R3 to boost my gmat score?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Apply R2 or R3 to boost my gmat score?

by nadontheway » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 am
Hi,

I got 610 on my 2nd attempt on the Gmat. I will make another attempt before R2. If I can't get a higher score, do you advise me to apply to R2 or wait R3 to try to improve my score?

BTW, I am an international applicant and most schools advised to apply R2.

Thank you so much.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nadontheway » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:51 am
Forgot to ask:

Which top 10 US MBA's are age friendly? I am 32...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:22 am
Dear Nadontheway,

Thanks for your post!

As to your questions:

1) My advice is that you apply in R2 with your present GMAT score of 610, including a note to your target schools (likely via the optional essay) that explains your plans to retake the test (ideally in early/mid January). Indicate that you will furnish them with the score as soon as you have it, etc. Since most schools will happily add a new score to your file post-application, this strategy would enable you to avoid R3 (incredibly low odds for acceptance) and retake the test too. Of course, some of the nuance here in terms of your strategy would be better teased out if I knew more about your background (grades, ugrad attended, work exp, XCs), but that's my basic take given the information you have provided.

2) At age 32, with a 610 on the GMAT your odds at any top 10 school are presently rather slim. Assuming you bump the GMAT up by about 100 points or so, it is possible that some top programs will come into range (Tuck and Kellogg are on record as liking more experienced candidates, HBS and Stanford are on record as preferring younger applicants). Of course, without any knowledge of your work exp., XCs or academics it is really hard for me to offer you advice or pinpoint your odds of admission, etc. The truth is that at age 32, in this year's admissions cycle, applying in R2, you will need an absolutely stellar application to crack the top 10.

Feel free to send along more details (e.g. your resume) to [email protected] if you'd like to set up a free chat with one of our counselors.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.