Got hit thrice. Need help to get up and fight again.

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I gave my GMAT for the third time on 2nd August 2013 and got 590. Though there was a 110 point increase from previous two attempts, 590 was not a score I expected to get. My prep time was roughly about 3 months and my practice tests scores are as below.

MGMAT CAT 1 (26th June) - 590 (Q44 V29)
GMAT Prep 1 (03rd July) - 610 (Q49 V25)
MGMAT CAT 2 (12th July) - 620 (Q45 V31)
GMAT Prep 2 (16th July) - 590 (Q37 V31)
MGMAT CAT 3 (25th July) - 690 (Q45 V38)

Now I plan to give the test for the 4th (and final) time but haven't decided whether to book the date and prepare - as I will be able to have a focus for a definite period of time - or prepare and book the date when I am comfortable - in this case I may lose focus as I will have indefinite time to prepare.

One problem I have identified is when I give the test I do not use any concept or strategy for a specific question but instead I just use brute instinctual response to answer the questions. I feel I do not or will not have time to think to answer a question and I jump straight away to solve the questions by writing equations and stuff. For example, I don't even look at the answer choices in PS which could otherwise have helped me in answering questions faster by substituting the answer choices. But I have used all these strategies such as number picking, back solving, visualization etc during my prep and I have found them comfortable to use.

Another problem I have identified is I feel uncomfortable the moment I think I will have to take the test for 3 hours straight without taking any break. I cannot sit for longer hours during prep and I usually take breaks for every 10 questions on an average. My prep (not practice tests) was very relaxed. I start to feel restless if I sit for too long. This mindset troubles me during the practice tests and to a much greater extent during the GMAT. I constantly have to concentrate on focusing instead of concentrating on the question. This starts the avalanche within my mind and finally I will just want to finish the exam.

Another thing, is giving the test for 4 times going to bring my profile down?

To all the experts in this forum, please help me :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 am
I hate to say it, but your 590 score shouldn't have come as a surprise.
Your practice tests scores were:
MGMAT CAT 1 (26th June) - 590 (Q44 V29)
GMAT Prep 1 (03rd July) - 610 (Q49 V25)
MGMAT CAT 2 (12th July) - 620 (Q45 V31)
GMAT Prep 2 (16th July) - 590 (Q37 V31)
MGMAT CAT 3 (25th July) - 690 (Q45 V38)

With the exception of one practice test, you were scoring around 600, and the 690 was an anomaly.
To rule out anomalies, you should achieve your target score on at least 2 practices tests before taking the official test.

As for the best route (book test then prepare vs. prepare then book test), I find that most students take their preparation more seriously when the clock is ticking. Then, if you're a week away and still haven't achieved your target score on at least two occasions, you can always reschedule the test.

Okay, so now what? How do you best prepare?
It sounds like you've already identified the main problem: your test-taking skills need some work.
Endurance seems to be a huge factor, and this is related to your concentration problems, which then causes you to disregard all of the GMAT strategies you've learned (like checking the answer choices before doing any work on a PS question.)

All of this suggests that you need to take LOTS and LOTS of practice tests, and work on the areas that you've already identified (as well as time management)

If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sidceg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:29 am
Thanks for the tip Brent. Do you have anything specific in mind regarding how to practice for developing endurance? And I have asked another question too: is giving the test for 4 times going to bring my profile down?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:33 am
I cannot sit for longer hours during prep and I usually take breaks for every 10 questions on an average.
I'd start with longer practice sessions. Try doing 20 practice questions in a row, then 30, then 40, etc.
Then, after a while, start taking full-length practice tests.

As far as your profile is concerned, I think 4 tests is not as favorable as 1 test, but you don't really have a choice in the matter if you need a higher score.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com