Advice Please

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Advice Please

by jslachey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 am
Hey,
Hope you are doing well.

I am a prospective student applying to MBA programs.

Brief intro about me, Graduated from University of Houston with BBA in Accounting and Finance and working as an auditor since then. I am a Manager in Deloitte's Audit Practice in Houston focusing on Oil & Gas companies. I am a CPA, CMA and CFA Level 2. So can you give me a feedback if I am competitive ? (GPA: 3.2 and GMAT: 740). Age is on the high end. Will be 29 next year.

Target schools are Wharton, UofChicago, Columbia, Kellogg, Yale, NYU (2nd round)?

What school do you think will be safety ones?(2nd round)

Regards,
James

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 am
Dear James,

Thanks for your post.

Your profile seems fairly competitive overall. While your GPA falls shy of the 3.5-3.6 average for admitted students at the top schools, my hope is that your above-average GMAT result (740) can put you over the top in that regard. Your work experience, certifications and academic studies clearly suggest strong quantitative aptitude, so there will be little doubt as to your ability to survive the rigors of an MBA program. I also like the Oil&Gas angle, since this gives your candidacy a bit of specialization and may help to differentiate you from other applicants in your segment of the pool.

The one area of concern I have is 'rounding out' your candidacy. Do you have a track record (in school or since graduating) of pursuing outside interests (sports, volunteer work, the arts, etc)? How will you demonstrate to the adcoms that you aren't just a 'numbers guy' and that you have the charisma and leadership capacity that is often lacking in the world of accountants, auditors, etc?

As to your target schools, a lot of your chances are going to hinge on elements like career goals, essays, XCs, recommendations, interview skills, etc - items which I don't have information on at this juncture. Of course, going on the information I have here, I don't think we can really call any of the programs on your list a 'safety' in the true sense (at least not in R2, and not in this climate). Having said that, NYU will likely offer you the best admissions odds. Wharton, Chicago and Columbia will be a challenge - but certainly not unattainable. Yale will likely be somewhere in between. [Note: while Yale typically ranks as a top-15 MBA program, the very small class size actually makes it harder to get into than most applicants expect.]

Feel free to send along your resume to [email protected] if you would like to have a free 30-minute assessment with one of our counselors and share a bit more of your background.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.