Resume Question

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Resume Question

by mbaAspirant10 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:53 pm
Hi,

Is it ever okay to refer to high school achievements in the resume, for NYU Stern and Kellogg? What if it is a stellar achievement, such as being ranked 3rd out of 10,000 students in a central examination?

Thank you.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 am
Thanks for your post!

Generally speaking, high school-era achievements should be left off your resume for b-school. The reason for this is because the schools are often skeptical of applicants who seem to be replying on accomplishments from long ago to bolster their candidacy. Simply put, they wonder if the fact that you've got high school-era accomplishments listed means that you haven't done anything of merit more recently.

Of course, there can always be exceptions to the rule - especially when it comes to younger applicants or truly substantial high school-era achivements. In your case, I'd need to know more about the examination you are referring to. Was this an entrance examination for university? If so, you might be able to list it as a bullet point under your education section (within the ugrad institution you ultimately attended). If it was merely a standardized test used to measure high school level aptitude (without any college admissions ramifications), I'm not sure it's going to be appropriate to include. In addition, if you graduated from high school more than 10 years ago, I'd think twice before prominently featuring this sort of thing.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.