Does an MIS help/differentiate in any way

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi ,

I have a question related to the MIS programs that are being offered by various US universitites.

Does these programs help/differentiate in any way while applying for an MBA program. Especially for an international student ( I am an indian and did my undergrad from India) . We are all aware of the issues with conversion of indian academic scores into US GPA as well as the fierce competion when it comes to international students.

MIS is program which is a mix of management and techincal knowledge
and is not a traditional masters program. I am sure an applicant would have to justify how does an MIS fits in essays etc. , but I would like to know if it would help an international student who did his undergrad outside of US but obtained an MIS from a good US university, for getting an admission into a top MBA program.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:07 pm
Dear Nandan

It only makes sense to get another graduate degree if it relates to your future career goals. If you envision attending a MIS program in the US as being an easier way to get into a MBA program, that is a false perception. For MBA applications, you will be expected to demonstrate why other graduate degrees make sense for your career path and fit in with a MBA. I would suggest spending your resources towards applying for a MBA if that is what you really want.

Good luck,
Lisa
Last edited by Lisa Anderson on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nandan johri » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:38 pm
Thanks Lisa !!